Centrelink customer reference number

Spazmaz

Hi all,

So we have landed in Melbourne and are taking things slow.

We managed to get onto Medicare last week. Now we need to get tax file numbers, but that requires a centrelink customer reference number which they didn't give to us when we went into centrelink for the Medicare stuff. Is this a separate thing that we will have to go back into centrelink for? Or is it the same as our medicare number?

Thanks, 

All a bit confused this side!

This is the first time I have heard of this. Were you trying to do the application on line?

Here is the official link, https://iar.ato.gov.au/IARWeb/default.aspx?pid=4&sid=1&outcome=1

If that is where they asked this question, then you may well have to check with Centrelink.

13 hours ago, Mara said:

This is the first time I have heard of this. Were you trying to do the application on line?

Here is the official link, https://iar.ato.gov.au/IARWeb/default.aspx?pid=4&sid=1&outcome=1

If that is where they asked this question, then you may well have to check with Centrelink.

Hi Mara,

Yes I was doing it online via the official website, this is where they asked me for it. It seems the number is your Medicare number plus the last digit according to what number 'dependent' you are. 

@SpazmazThen definitely this is new to me. I have a different Centrelink registration number than my Medicare number. You may well be right, but at the same time you may want to check with them just to make sure.

Edited by Mara

Quite right Mara,

Went into Centrelink today and they issued me a number which is different to the Medicare one. I will have to correct my TFN application... Hope I haven't caused too much confusion for anyone else looking for an answer to this.

• Like 1

Glad you are sorted out now! :)

Hi @Spazmaz just check you applied for your tfn on the permanent resident online form. We applied a month ago and ours did not ask for a centrelink number (we don't have one as we haven't registered with centrelink, we just registered with Medicare)

I know now there is a separate form for citizens.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We also had a similar problem when trying to link our Medicare and Centrelink  accounts (which is another temporary code in itself) and had to go back to get the CRN. It just appears that the CRN is more important than appreciated by even the staff as it helps expedite matters for applying for benefits like the childcare rebate or childcare benefits (which you also need the TFN for beforehand)

I think the problem is that the Centrelink consultant will only fulfill what one specifically asks for. They do not necessarily know about everything that a new migrant requires and that responsibility falls to you.

However we're finding that once you get in the system it just works! What a difference. 

• Like 1