PCC for 887 Visa

vanSchoorFamily

Question

Hi, Need some advice regarding the PCC. I have heard that you don't need to get new PCC if you have not been back to SA, others say you have to? The VISA documents also states that you not need to get one until they ask, but I don't want to delay the process? Obtaining them from SA will cost us around $350, should we just get them in case?

4 answers to this question

Okay.

Quoted from the DIBP:

http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/887-/Skilled-Regional-visa-(subclass-887)-document-checklist

Character requirements

Police certificates for each country each person has lived in for a cumulative period of 12 months or more, over the last 10 years, since turning 16 years of age.

Military service record or discharge papers for each person who is/has served in the armed forces of any country. Police certificates are also required for the countries of service.

Translation:

You need PCCs for each applicant over 16 who has lived >= 12 months in any country within the last 10 years, whether you are in Australia or not, or have had PCCs issued previously which have lapsed/gone stale.

If your PCCs have lapsed, you will need to get new ones. PCCs are valid for 12 months from issuance.

I stand to be corrected, but I'm pretty certain you will need police clearance, as specified by the DIBP document checklist for your specific 887 visa.

EDIT : Updated references for the 489 visa, not the 889 visa. It was a long workday yesterday :-|

EDIT 2 : I can't believe I did it twice :-| Updated references again for your specified subclass 887, not 189, not 889, not 487. Goddamn 887.

Edited by vengefire
Fixed a typo
  • Like 1

Depends on the requirements of your visa I think.

As far as the 189 is concerned, you have to get a PCC for every country you've lived in for at least twelve months in the last ten years.

Check your visa documentation requirements :-)

Edited by vengefire

26 minutes ago, vengefire said:

Depends on the requirements of your visa I think.

As far as the 189 is concerned, you have to get a PCC for every country you've lived in for at least twelve months in the last ten years.

Check your visa documentation requirements :-)

We are currently on a 489 Visa, with a pathway to PR through 887. We are not on a 189 Visa. We already had to get that done for the 489 visa? We are already in Australia

As an aside, you might be able to get them cheaper :-)

All SAPS needs is a fingerprint form with relevant details on and copies of your ID documents. It should be possible for you to obtain these from a police station in Australia, courier them to SAPS in Pretoria, and once they're ready organise a courier back to your home address in Australia.

I went through the same procedure here in Johannesburg, the big differences are:

1. I had my prints taken at a police station in linden SA, you will need to do it in Aus.

2. I paid at the Police Station. You will need to do an EFT or get someone in SA to do an EFT as per the instructions in the link below.

Check the following link for more information:

https://www.saps.gov.za/services/applying_clearence_certificate.php