YEES!! Deregistered from SARS!

SurferMan

I finally deregistered from the SARS money scheme. Got my letter today, after 2 years of fighting, squabbling and endless excuses, new requirements, documents etc from SARS. I eventually cornered the bastards and forced them to issue my letter to say I am no longer registered in the Republic of SA as a taxpayer and I have no account with them.

What a blissful day. Thought I would share this great news with those of you who wish to do the same.

It. Is. Possible.

• Like 1

@SurferMan - What is the advantage of doing this? I mean, surely if you are not earning a income in South Africa, SARS doesn't really care?

• Like 1

@FingersCrossed Not exactly...SARS cares a lot about your money! Here is a link to find out more about paying tax while living overseas (physical presence test), although I'm sure SurferMan could inform you more about it all. The only way to sever ties quicker is to financially emigrate. http://www.sars.gov.za/ClientSegments/Individuals/Tax-Stages/Tax-and-Non-Residents/Pages/default.aspx

(I am not a financial consultant, so this is just what I have found while researching for our own information)

• Like 1

Hi @FingersCrossed and @CazK

Yep, by my accounts the fastest way is financial emigration but it never truly disconnects you from the financial drip/mothership called SARS. I was hellbent on doing it after I emigrated and they decided to audit me going back 10 years. They lost that fight BIG time, but it caused me HUGE stress, threats from them to take my money here in Aus etc.

I am most pleased to announce I am no longer a registered taxpayer, a citizen or an interested party of the finances of SA! LOL. Sorry if that sounds funny, but you have had to walk in my shoes to understand my intense dislike of SARS and their bully boy tactics.

• Like 2

@SurferMan @CazK - Thanks for the feedback. Apologies if I am asking stupid questions here - never lived overseas before so this is a little new to me. 
Once I have moved to Australia and I am working there - would I still need to do a annual tax filing even though I am not earning any income in South Africa. I wont have any properties in SA (I am selling them). Also dont plan to come back to SA for at least 5 years.

I am only looking at financially immigrating once I have settled properly in Australia, which could be 2 years or so after I have landed there.

• Like 1

Hi @FingersCrossed

Have a chat to @Gerhardk I did not emigrate financially but even so you still have to fill in stupid returns for a number of years. Also, during my disengagement process, one of my previous clients did an adjustment payment of 150 Rand in my favour, that triggered SARS on yet another hunting mission.

If a human was ever said to be motivated to kill off a relationship, this was it.

@SurferMan - LOL - yeah I can imagine the hunting mission was the final straw.

well it looks like I will also have to fill in some tax returns for the next couple of years when I move over there until I can officially financially immigrate.

Thanks for the information and congrats once again.

Bloody well done, mate!!!