Taking computer parts in luggage

Dragonlord

Hi Everyone

I want to take some computer parts with me in my luggage when I travel to Australia next month. I have a graphics card that cost me a lot of money so I don't want to leave it behind.

Do you think it will show up as anything suspicious on their x-ray scanner? I think that the circuits might make it look like some type of bomb on an x-ray. I am also worried that they might mistake it for a laptop because it has fans and circuits and you are not allowed laptops in your checked luggage because the batteries might explode. There is also the other problem that one of the people working at the airport will try to steal it from my bag which is quite common at South African airports.

What do you guys think I should do? Should I risk it? Will they make me pay taxes if they catch me with it? Has anyone done the same thing before?

When we came over, we brought several external hdd's with power-supplies, laptops, tons of camera equipment (including unusual items such as wireless transmitters and receivers and other gadgets) + more chargers (we had four fully loaded backpacks of items).... Was fully expecting to be be stopped by customs/security but they let us through. Only minor gripe they had was with the number of rechargeable batteries we had (was on the vicinity of 4 dozen)

Having said all this, we took most of these 'valuables' (R150k+ worth of stuff) on as hand luggage...

• Like 1

I think if you take it as hand luggage nobody will bat an eyelid. They might just ask you to open the bag so they can inspect it, but I doubt there will be any issues.

we brought 2 full pcs in parts inside our hand luggage (and my screen in my checked luggage lol). They did however damage my husbands motherboard at Joburg and gave us evil glares while trying to figure out what it is - if its a bomb etc. it was quite ridiculous. But no problems on the Aussie side, they looked at it and knew what it was, didn't ask or look at it weirdly.

• Like 1

Thank you for the replies. It looks like I will be putting it in my hand luggage. I guess it is easier for them to inspect it in your hand luggage. If I put it in my checked luggage and they find it suspicious then they will probably pull me over and make me open my bag and all that which is way more effort.

I hope they don't keep me for long if there is a problem because I only have 2 hours between flights in Dubai so I can't afford any delays.

There are no guarantees, and it might just be your luck on the day. But we have never been held up over anything we tried to fly overseas. The longest we were 'kept' was a security guard at OR Tambo who asked about our plushies (that travel everywhere with us, especially on adventures). So yea, perhaps if someone wanted to be difficult, but I doubt it.

I wouldn't take sensitive computer hardware in checked luggage.  Those bags also go through scanners and if they aren't sure what is in the bag they are allowed to open it, by force if it is locked with a non-TSA lock.  In South Africa, they might "inspect" the bag to check if anything else of worth is in it.

We bought hard-drives and some delicate/important things in our hand luggage - before the days when you used to have to take all such items out. 

I think the main difference now is the general need to remove computer equipment from your bag - you might want to keep them within a individual bag in your bag so they are easy to locate.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I decided not to take my graphics card with me. I thought it would be too easy for one of the clowns at airport security to mistake it for a bomb. I also did not want to make my luggage a target for the baggage thieves at OR Tambo. It was just not worth the risk of jeopardizing my future life in Australia in any way. I can buy a new one if I really have to.

Fair enough.

But just think of the exciting stories you might miss out on..... Like that one time I was stopped at Border Patrol and asked for the reason for my visit.... Apparently "LSD Trip" was night the wisest response... O_o

• Like 1