Teaching qualifications

LouiseMark

Hi

Apologies if this has been asked before.

My husband was the main applicant on our visa and so my teaching qualification was never assessed.

How will this impact on my registration as a teacher? Will the education boards ask for my qualification to be assessed before they allow me to register? I suppose I should have checked this but we were so focused on getting hubby's assessments we neglected to ask and now we are ready to move I suddenly had "oh goodness what if" moment.

Anyone know?

Hi there, 

AITLS - asses your qualification for migration reasons, you cant teach with that assessment - so seeing that you already have a visa as result of your husbands qualifications , just contact the state registering authority where you plan to teach - they do their own assessment anyway, even if you have an AITLS assessment.  You need to be registered in order to teach. 

All States have agreements in place to recognize each others registering authorities (with some fine print) Excluding NSW - there you need accreditation ? there. 

That is how I understand it - might me mistaken! 

Edited by TeachinginSA

Oh goodness....and we plan on NSW. So I better read up about what they need in d

Let me try again....computer has a mnd of it's own today. I was saying I will investigate what NSW require and in detail! Thanks for the info!

NSW you need ro be registered with Bostes- can only do it when you are there - also read up on working with children check! 

Hi Louise

Kirsty's friend, Kerry, here...

Have you registered on NSW's jobfeed? They send out weekly jobfeeds, very useful to get a feel of where/what etc.

Check out www.det.nsw.edu.au

Good luck, my dear

Big hugs,

K

• 3 months later...

Hi all.

I'm new to this forum and desperately seek advice. I have been reading through this thread and hopefully am in the right place asking these questions. Sorry for the long story. My husband and I recently decided on  immigrating to Oz. Rather late as he's 46 and I'm 44. After chatting to a few agents we were told that I should be used as the primary applicant. The thing is I am a teacher. Not the best profession to have right now in terms of immigration. I studied a 4 year Bachelor degree in Pedagogics which I completed in 1994. Three years of this degree was towards high school and it was only in my final year of study that I converted to Primary Education . My teaching practice was done at both high school and primary school and I had done the required days of TP. My question is how would AITSL consider this degree of mine? I have the transcript of my degree which shows the break down of each year of study. When I initially got posted to Department of Education post after my initial qualification, I got posted to a public High School. Four years later due to redeployment process I got posted to a neighboring Public Primary school. I resigned from Public school as it got too dangerous (long story) and started teaching at a Private school that has ages 2-18. I also did my B. Ed Honours degree and I have been teaching for 22 years this year. I teach age groups 10-15 currently but have experience teaching higher age groups . Btw my husband is a qualified trade tested air conditioning and refrigeration mechanic. He has also completed his National diploma in Electrical engineering and recently an Advanced diploma in Project Management. Hoping someone can advise us further. Apologies for some of the irrelevant information but just wanted to give a broader context. Thanks in advance.

I think that you should contact AITSL (the assessing body) and ask them specific questions such as:

If you apply as a high school teacher, must ALL your prac teaching have been in a high school or is the total number of days the most important part? Because I think that this will probably be the critical part to ask.

They will also be able to advise whether your most recent experience should be in a high school to get assessed as a high school teacher. I'm guessing that you need to have your experience assessed for enough points?  If so they'll be best to advise you.

http://www.aitsl.edu.au/assessment-for-migration

• Like 1

@March2 Rest assured that teaching is probably not the worst profession for an apsiring immigrant!

My wife recently completed her AITSL skills assessment as a secondary school teacher, and I can share the following insights with you.

- Your chosen occupation and qualifications are assessed together and not independently from each other. What this means is that if your qualification was focused on primary education, you should not submit an application as a secondary school teacher. As far as I know primary school teachers are not on any of the skilled occupations lists, so your only option will be to apply to AITSL as a secondary school teacher.

- Having said that, your degree (is it a B.Ed or a B.A.with education majors?) is somewhat ambiguous, seeing that you switched 'majors' in the final year. This will no doubt complicate things from AITSL's perspective.

- The 45 days of completed teaching practice must concur with the nature of your application, That is, 45 days as secondary school teacher, teaching children between the ages of 13 and 18 at a secondary school. Ditto for work experience after the completion of your qualification - only work experience at secondary level will be considered by AITSL if your application is for a secondary school teacher/

- Be aware that AITSL will require a document from your university confirming, amongst other curricular details, that teaching practice was completed by you during your studies. Depending on your alma mater, this document can be a pain to get hold of.

Given these possible complications, I would urge you to seek the services of an immigration agent before deciding to  'go it alone'. I hope these points are of some use to you.

• Like 1