Marital status at home affairs

Hi everyone, i'm hoping someone can shed some light on this issue. I have been divorced for a year now but my marital status at home affairs hasn't changed despite my efforts to submit the decree 3 times. i'm in the process of making a visa application i'm worried if they could find out i'm still married i would have a negative outcome.

Hi @Lene

That is bad - they really should have updated that by now. Did they not give you a time estimation on how long it will take to update their systems?

I would check with a agent to see what they recommend. I dont know if it would be accepted, however maybe you and your ex could sign a lawyers letter saying that you are divorced and you are just waiting for the systems to be updated. Or is there a document from the courts that you could maybe use already?

Thank you FingersCrossed for replying, they are not giving me a time estimation, everytime they just blame head office. I don't know if a decree would be enough for my application. My worry is if they check with home affairs & on home affairs system it says i'm still married.

Personally, as long as you have your decree, I think it would be highly unlikely that anyone in Australia is going to check with Home Affairs in South Africa...

Hopefully @TeeTMI or @SD_MOA could set you straight!

• Like 2

As Mara says the DIBP will be looking for the legal document (your decree) that confirms your marital status. 

• Like 1

I would be highly surprised if DIBP tried to verify with south Africa home affairs. Just like us, they would call the department of home affairs and no one would answer. They could send a email, however once again no one would reply. :D:D

• Like 1