457 to 186 Direct Entry Stream Questions

BruceinOz

Question

Hey people. Hope you don't mind if I ask a couple of questions on my first post.

If I have a British passport do I still need to do an English test for a 186 ENS Direct Entry Stream?

As I understand it, you require a score of 6 in all disciplines for IELTS. Does a British passport automatically qualify you?

On the same visa application, if my wife who is South African is on my 457 visa, can she merely submit proof of 5 years schooling in English to satisfy her English ability requirements for the 186 visa?

Hopefully one of the resident agents can give me a definitive answer as the web sites don't seem to spell it out in black and white.

Thank you kind people.

4 answers to this question

15 hours ago, BruceinOz said:

Hey people. Hope you don't mind if I ask a couple of questions on my first post.

If I have a British passport do I still need to do an English test for a 186 ENS Direct Entry Stream?

As I understand it, you require a score of 6 in all disciplines for IELTS. Does a British passport automatically qualify you?

On the same visa application, if my wife who is South African is on my 457 visa, can she merely submit proof of 5 years schooling in English to satisfy her English ability requirements for the 186 visa?

Hopefully one of the resident agents can give me a definitive answer as the web sites don't seem to spell it out in black and white.

Thank you kind people.

From what you have said I am assuming your wife will be the primary applicant on the 186 visa - Direct Stream.

A British passport would generally exempt you from needing to undertake an English test as part of the application.

Under the 186 Direct stream as the Primary applicant your wife would generally need to undertake an English test at the Competent Level (e.g. IELTS 6 in all 4 stages - there are some alternative test options http://www.taylormadeimmigration.com/EnglishScores ).  There are some exemptions but the 5 years study at an appropriate level relates to the Temporary Residence Transition stream.

If your wife was the secondary applicant on the visa application one of the potential options would relate to showing at least five years of secondary education where all instructions were in English

• Like 1

Thank you @TeeTMI

I am the primary applicant with the British passport. So from what I understand, I wouldn't need to do the English test on the Direct Entry.

My wife is South African, and is a dependent or secondary applicant on my 457 visa, so showing at least five years of secondary education where all instructions were in English should suffice for her as far as the 186 Direct Entry is concerned.

Edited by BruceinOz

2 hours ago, BruceinOz said:

Thank you @TeeTMI

I am the primary applicant with the British passport. So from what I understand, I wouldn't need to do the English test on the Direct Entry.

My wife is South African, and is a dependent or secondary applicant on my 457 visa, so showing at least five years of secondary education where all instructions were in English should suffice for her as far as the 186 Direct Entry is concerned.

Its probably a lot easier for her to complete one of the English test. Much less hassle and pretty easy to prove competent English.

• Like 1