Work trip to Brisbane

WillemPrinsloo

I am fortunate enough to have secured myself a work trip to Brisbane. This will help us in making the final decision on immigration. I am in Brisbane for at least two weekends and three work weeks. Your help on the below questions will be much appreciated.

1. How much will I have to budget if I want to use public transport excessively over the weekend to explore. Full day of travelling around Brisbane.
  2. Will I be able to get public transport from the city to the Gold and Sunshine coast?
  3. What time does it get dark in Brisbane?
  4. Is it safe to walk around in the city at night time?
  5. Good neighborhoods with good schools to visit with a max travel time of 30 minutes from the city. Budget of $500 per week rental.
  6. Any other interesting areas to visit.
  7. Any other advice for things to check/consider on my trip.

• Like 2

For public transport you would be best to get a go card. A go card can be used on buses, trains and ferries.

translink.com.au would be the best site to visit for routes, times and fares around Brisbane.

you can get a go card almost anywhere, but the site will direct you to your best option.

there are train/tram services to the gold cost. Use the site and it will tell what you have to do. The are train services up to the sunshine coast but I'm not sure after that, but he TransLink site will help you out provided you know your end destination.

it gets dark about 7:30 pm at this time of year.

it's safe to walk round the city at night. But take reasonable precautions, don't go into an ulighted service alleyway. There will be plenty to see around Eagle street and Southbank on most nights.

• Like 2

How lovely! Public transport does add up when you're visiting on the Rand. I was there in Brisbane and spent about $50 on my Go Card (as far as I remember, it's $10 for a card so keep it fort when you move ;) ). I used buses, trains and the City Cat Ferry https://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/traffic-transport/public-transport/citycat-ferry-services - the City Hopper is free. The ferries are a great way to see the city and I agree that you must make time for Southbank and Eagle Street (along the river bank). I never took the train to the Gold Coast, but it looks fairly simple and easy to get there. Enjoy - I loved it!

You can sell back your Go card and its left over contents, provided its less than $50. How good is that?

• Like 1

My view for the next three weeks. I have only been in Brisbane for three days but I love the place already. I have a barbeque lined up for Australia day to experience some Australian culture. The positive thing so far is that I feel that we are doing the right thing to try and immigrate. Before this trip I had so much doubt every day. Will give another  update later in the week

Hotel small.jpg

• Like 8