Very new to this...

Cindz

Question

My family and I recently started looking at immigration and looking for work in Australia,  I've come to understand that we need to hire an agent? 

I've also been looking at jobs for my husband, as he's qualified in his trade as an earthmoving/hydraulics mechanic, however I realized there's no option for this on the TradeSET, so I just selected the diesel mechanic option - I don't know if I've done it right?  

Also, just wondered if anyone had any advise on getting work for myself and schooling for our 5year old daughter? 

A friend of ours referred us to the site, and said everyone was really kind and helpful, I'm hoping someone out there can give a little bit of advice!

Thank you!!

• Like 1

5 answers to this question

Hi Cindy

As mentioned, there are many opinions regarding agents, but one key point is that an agent is definitely not required - many people have successfully done this without an agent - although I'm sure that most of us who did not use an agent went through more stress in our application process than those that used an agent. The uncertainty of not knowing if you did something right until after if works....

Having an agent simply means someone else will be managing the visa process for you, advising you of the processes and prompting you for the necessary documents as and when they are required and as such, it's generally smoother and can be quicker.

The biggest benefit of having an agent, in my opinion, is when things get tricky - they are more prepared for curveballs and would be more likely to have answers for you at a time when all you have is more questions, confusion and rising panic.

I managed without an agent, although I did talk to many people, including agents, for advice and I also think that a free assessment would be beneficial. I researched the process on the Immigration website and made sure I had everything needed before or when it was needed - it wasn't difficult.

Keep in mind that the cost of using a good agent would probably cover your living costs here for at least a couple of months.

I would advise getting referrals from the forum about any agent you do think of engaging - there have been many stories of people saving lots of money by using a agent who charges less - only to have that go belly-up.

Good luck

• Like 1

Hi @Cindz

Welcome to the forum and on the decision to start your journey to Australia. This is the right place for lots of free advice and for the sharing of nerves while you wait for the immigration department to reply to your application. :D

People have different opinions on whether to use a agent for your application or to do it yourself. Personally, I used a agent (migrate2oz - http://www.migrate2oz.co.za/) who have been brilliant during my whole application process. I found that they took alot of the stress and made sure that I supplied and filled in the right information when needed.

That said, it does cost a little more to go through a agent, however if you use the right agent it really can make the whole process easier.

I suggest that you get hold of a obligation free assessment from a agent that is registered in Australia. Once you have had a chat, you will know what steps you need to go through to get your visa application lodged.

As for schooling, there are lots of parents on here that can give some great advice and I am sure some will reply to your thread.

good luck and enjoy the journey. 

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond! 

You have given some really helpful advice! I really appreciate it, thank you again!

I second Herby's statement - if your application is straight forwards then you should be able to manage yourselves, but if you have any issues an agent is invaluable.

TeeTMI and SD_MOA are two agents on this forum - I don't think you could get a better reference than an agent who is comfortable in a forum among their clients who will be very quick to highlight problems. Both are very highly rated. We worked with Stephen (SD_MOA) and he was amazing.

From your initial question, I would definitely suggest you talk to an agent (a good, vetted agent, not just someone who advertises cheaply on the internet) and go for an initial assessment. This will at least tell you under which category you should apply. If you get a mismatch between what the skills assessment says and what you fill in on the application you will lose money.

All the needed information is (at least it was two years ago when I did this) on the internet on the border.gov website, so you can potentially do the whole thing yourself. But like I said, go for an initial assessment first, this will also give you an indication of the complexity of your application. Ours was so straight forward that the agent we spoke to said directly that we could easily do it ourselves, and that we basically had all the info already. Some cases have snags.

All this being said... Welcome to the forum, and best of luck with your journey! You have come to the right place for support and advice. If you don't know something, ask. Oh, and read...do loads of reading. You can easily use the forum's search function to find previous answers to all the common questions, because believe me, most of them have been asked and answered many times over.

Good luck! :D 

• Like 1