Moving a piano

GKatherine

Hi all, I have read all the previous threads about moving a piano from SA to Aus. For those that have done it, can you please advise on two aspects please:

- How feasible is it to store the piano in Australia until we have found a more permanent home (guestimate 6 months in)?

- How feasible is it to keep the piano in SA and only send it over later once we are settled?

The piano is quite sentimental, so I'd prefer not to sell and buy new there, but I read about the extra costs due to the building of the crate and the obvious problem to transport it between rentals. 

You might also want to find out what the current rules are on importation if the piano has ivory keys. 

Re storage. A small storage unit about a third of a single garage costs around $120 per month. 

Youll also need to factor in the cost of retuning if you plan to play it.  

Thank you @RYLC.  Guess storage will add up quickly :unsure:

The best thing would be to go on google and look for storage in the area you want to live, and email them for quotes. Somebody might surprise you.

Also, ask your removal company what their story would be with a piano. I would honestly start talking to the removal companies early on in the move plan, to get a realistic idea of how much it will cost and what they are and aren't willing to take. It helped to guide out chuck-out phase.

• Like 1

Storage becomes cheaper the further you go away from the city - it may be worth the 2/3 hour drive to put it in a storage unit in a rural town as opposed to the CBD especially if you're not going to use it for a while. Only thing is the transport...  We brought a piano over - sentimental reasons.  It was a big white elephant and took up a lot of space so we sold it.  Really reconsider if it is that important to you to keep it.  A lot of sentimental stuff is not that sentimental anymore after a few years...

Thank you @Riekie, will look into that!