Job hunting from SA- is it even possible?

Bobbin

Hi everyone, 

Thank you for so much great information, I have really enjoyed browsing the posts and journals. Its really helped me move through all the emotions of emigrating. I see all the pyjama dances on Facebook and often wonder if I am alone in all the anguish- there has been a lot of back and forth, feelings of guilt (over leaving ageing parents), not sure if it is the right thing to plunge into the unknown, with no assurances of jobs, family support etc. or to stay and face a pretty uncertain future here too. But it all seems to be becoming a reality now (albeit still rather surreal too!), so just got to keep on moving forward!

First, perhaps a bit of background:

We have submitted most of our documents (although still waiting on my SAPS PCC to be sent from the 8th floor to reception, app this can take a week!) and now just waiting for the Visa decision (189). Our agent tells us that we should expect our visa grant by the end of the month/beginning of Feb (eek!reality check!). I am a secondary school teacher (applying on my credentials) currently teaching part-time and my husband is a mechatronics engineer who has been in manufacturing (Ops/eng manager) for the last 5 years. We have two young daughters (4 and almost 2). As the childcare costs seem so prohibitively expensive (basically would be my entire potential salary), and our youngest daughter has had a rough time of it with chest infections, we would prefer to keep at least the youngest out of full time daycare for a while yet. So ideally, I would be the stay-at-home parent for a couple of years. We have toyed with staying longer in SA until they are of school-going age, but then most of the advice is just go as soon as possible.

So we are trying to work out our strategy, and any input on job hunting would be gratefully received. From what I can tell from older posts, prospects for engineers aren't looking so rosy. How did you other more recent engineers get across? any ideas if jobs in manufacturing would be more available? did you have contacts and get a job before you went? Is there any point even trying to look for work before we have our PR in hand? Or do we try to be patient for another month (we hope). There are a couple of lovely jobs being advertised that my husband is itching to apply for, but we are pretty sure that checkbox about ability to work in Oz on SEEK and indeed websites is thwarting any progress. Any tips, tricks or suggestions to circumvent it and get a foot in the door? Is there any merit in meeting face-to-face with recruiters on an activation trip, or is it better to just save our (rapidly diminishing) savings?

So many questions swirling around my head constantly, almost no space left for anything else!! Thanks in advance for any input:)

Don't let that little "ability to work in Australia" clause on job ads put you off.  They are by law required to say that.  Seeing as you're in the process of applying for your visa and pending the outcome, apply for the roles!

It can be done! Took me about 4 months and an interview trip to Oz (i'm a civil engineer) and I start on 1 March. I wrote down some pointers that worked for me in another post:

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

I had no luck from SA, but got a call Monday morning of the weekend we arrived and started week after.  I'm a mechanical engineer.

But I didn't do this fancy Linkin stuff.

• Like 2

Hey @Fidjet, perhaps you should have a chat with this lady? ( @bushlovers )