Skills verification through ACS for software developer

CharlesH

Question

I have a 1 year comprehensive programming diploma from CTI and 16 years experience as a software developer.  Will my CTI diploma be recognised?   Do I understand correctly that I will have to have 6 years experience to qualify and which cannot be counted towards work experience points?  If approved would my CTI diploma plus 6 years experience be regarded as equivalent to a bachelors degree and qualify me for 15 points?

13 answers to this question

Hi Charles,

It sounds like you have the same CTI Dip Comp Sci that I have. Yes it will be recognised. It will take around six and a half years experience to meet the "skill requirement met date". 

Your diploma will be recognised as equivalent to an AQF diploma with a major in computing, which will garner you 10 (TEN) points for your EOI.

If you have no extra points sources, you will have to obtain superior english for 70 points on your EOI. Do the PTE-A as it doesn't discriminate against people that haven't hand written anything lengthy in the last two decades. I scored 90 against each band in the PTE-A, whilst the IELTS scored me 9 in each band barring writing, which was 7.5.

Regards,

Steve

Thanks.  No this is the programming diploma (Dip Comp Prog) and I have been advised by a migration agent that it will not be recognized which means I will have to do a RPL plus have 6 years work experience (due to the non-recognised ICT diploma and a non-ICT BSc as opposed to the 8 years experience required where no qualifications of any sort are held). I assume I will then get 10 points for a successful RPL assessment?

Edited by CharlesH

Not sure if you will get the 10 points for the RPL. I don't think you will, but best to confirm.

Send a mail to assessment@acs.org.au. They should be able to answer these questions, and that in turn will give you an indication of what the next steps will be.

If that diploma had a 12 month duration, they very well might consider it equivalent. I'm not certain how it differs from the Dip Comp Sci, but you never know.

I applied for skills assessment and was prepared to do the RPL if they didn't recognise my diploma. It would have cost a further $250 but was worth it to know whether my diploma was AQF equivalent or not.

Thanks @vengefire.  I actually think my diploma was 9 months in duration.  I do have a non-ICT degree so that should count.  I have e-mailed the ACS.

1 hour ago, vengefire said:

Hey Charles,

What happened with the ACS?

Only back in the office on the 9th of Jan.

ACS got back to me. They can't really assist me as they will need to look at the documentation/certificates. I am going to do a RPL as I suspect my 9 month diploma will not be recognised. I do have a M Sc in another unrelated field and I believe I will then need 6 years experience (instead of 8 years in the case of no tertiary qualification whatsoever)  since it is a non-ICT degree. I have been told my several migration agents that I can use this non-ICT degree to garner 15 points.

Edited by CharlesH

I have managed to obtain reference letters for 14 of 16 years experience.  Seems I am not going to be able to get those 2 years.  But if I get 6 years from ACS then I will have 8 years to go towards the work experience points.  The next step is to draw up the ACS skills assessment application and RPL and get all the documentation together. Luckily I have all the certificates, academic records etc.  Does anyone have any advice for writing up an RPL? 

Very good news. Positive assessment from ACS received for developer programmer.  My CTI diploma is seen as equivalent to an AQF diploma with ICT major. My skill level requirement met date is April 2009, so that means I have 8 years April 2017. 

• Like 2

On ‎2017‎-‎03‎-‎03 at 8:33 AM, CharlesH said:

Very good news. Positive assessment from ACS received for developer programmer.  My CTI diploma is seen as equivalent to an AQF diploma with ICT major. My skill level requirement met date is April 2009, so that means I have 8 years April 2017. 

Congratulations @CharlesH . Well done and best wishes going forward.

@CharlesH, what year was your CTI qualification awarded? I have a diploma in Information Systems Internet Development from CTI (awarded in 2008), I submitted my skills assessment last month but ACS have said my qualification is not recognised. It seems those who received their CTI qualification around 2001, received positive ACS results, and those after, are told their qualification from CTI is not recognised and I'm trying to understand why...

On 6/19/2017 at 0:28 PM, NixiePixie said:

@CharlesH, what year was your CTI qualification awarded? I have a diploma in Information Systems Internet Development from CTI (awarded in 2008), I submitted my skills assessment last month but ACS have said my qualification is not recognised. It seems those who received their CTI qualification around 2001, received positive ACS results, and those after, are told their qualification from CTI is not recognised and I'm trying to understand why...

Comprehensive Programming Diploma 2001