190 VISA - Spouse's Working Rights

DMWOZZIE

Hi Everyone,

We just got back from an amazing scout of Australia and can't wait to get the process going. I'm going to try and do it all without the help of an agent and have two specific questions I would appreciate input to.  My wife is going to be the primary applicant for a 190 visa as her experience is extensive and she is on the South Australia Supplementary Skills List. I'm also on the list too as either a Property Manager (I have a law degree and a property degree (Masters) and 3 years experience, only 487 visa though) or as an ICT Business Development Manager (2 years experience, no qualification).  

Question:

If my wife is granted 190 Visa (and I am a sub-applicant), do I get the same visa and rights to work as her, if you assume that I meet the partner requirements? Does that enable me to work in any profession or limited to the profession on my wife's visa application?

Thanks very much, this is an amazing source of information and appreciate your input to date!  

Each member of the family gets granted a 190SS visa in their own right. It gives you as the secondary applicant the same right to live and work in the sponsoring state. Your wife as the main applicant doesn't necessarily need to work in the profession used to get the visa. Also even if you don't meet the spouse skills part you can still work in your chosen profession or any other profession you choose

Edited by HadEnoughofJuju
  • Like 1

Hi DMWOZZIE,

If you are applying as a secondary applicant for the 190 visa, you will also be granted a permanent visa if you are successful with the process, and you will be able to work in any profession once you are in Australia. 

Fiona Carre

• 2 weeks later...