Visiting RSA

Cujo

Question

Have anyone on the forum regularly visited family and friends in South Africa since immigrating to Australia? 

It would be interesting to compare notes on differences observed. There might have been a thread on this topic so I apologise for any duplication.

I have been back 3 times to visit family. Even over a short period the differences are somewhat apparent. 

For or me the first one is the driving of people. I didn't apply for an international drivers license and play passenger. Thank goodness to that because the lawlessness on the roads are appalling. I heard an Uber driver was shot in Johannesburg by a taxi gang because he was encroaching on their territory. One thing that I am glad is the public transport system in Australia. Even if the one used in Canberra is not the greatest, I would choose AcTion busses any day over the minibus taxis in rsa. 

The he second thing that I noticed this time around more than ever was the big class differences still apparent. If you live in a country where people are provided mostly adequate care and housing and subsidies it is easy to forget that poverty exists. 

I can can make a long list of differences but I would like that other people can contribute and that might be an eye opener for people who are unsure whether they want to immigrate or not. However I find that some things you need too experience yourself. I would recommend anyone who want to immigrate, but is unsure to do a holiday Tripp and then the decision would be much easier. 

3 answers to this question

I visited a couple of months ago and the things that stood out for me after having been in Aus for more than 8 years is:

1. South African driving is insanely dangerous. It literally caused panic attacks every time I got in the car with someone. Driving at 140km with 3 meters gap from the car in front is just incredibly stupid. I honestly feared for my life on RSA roads.

2. The prices of clothes was very expensive. I went to Woolworths to stock up on some clothes but hardly bought anything as it was cheaper in Aus. R600 for short sleaved shirt! thats like $60 a shirt. No ways I was paying that when I could get the same quality for $30 in Aus.

3. What amazed me was how some of family had stopped watching news, and had chosen a "head in sand" attitude.

This was my toughts some months back. I recently had my two best friends from school come visit us, their first time out. After they went home, the one asked me to promise her that I will never ever come live in RSA again. 

Edited by rozellem

I go back annually to visit my parents and a few things I have noticed since last year:

1) Price increases at restaurants (not just the tourist markups) - Damn expensive for SA.

2) Clothing prices have increases. Shoes and toiletries are still a lot cheaper than Aus.

I'm not here to moan about SA as I chose to build a new live in Aus but one thing I can say, aside from my family, it doesn't feel the same anymore (and I've not even been gone that long).