Medical insurance advisor

FromDurbs

I have just arrived in Melbourne and need to change my private medical insurance.  Is there a way to talk to a person regarding different plans and options, like you would get an insurance advisor in South Africa.  How do you find such people.  The advice I got was that you got websites that compare the different plans.  

We are with HCF 100% hospital cover, we have found them to be excellent, have never had to make any co-payments...

Edited by Mara

• 3 weeks later...

hi can someone please advise how things work regarding medical insurance over there. My son is currently getting orthodontist treatment for braces now i want to know will he be able to continue with it there as we have had to pay upfront for 1 month medical insurance, until we arrive and see if we want to change options. I want to know are there waiting periods because surely one can't wait 12 months to continue treatment that is currently ongoing on a monthly basis.

Hi BBauer,

Check out bupa.com.au and hcf.com.au.

There are waiting periods for a lot of things, like physiotherapy and any major surgical operations. '

Just checked out HCF and they have an $800 lifetime limit for orthodontics. I can't see $800 going very far at all....

Bupa has a 12 month waiting period and only covers $1,000 per year or $3,200 per lifetime and that's also on their premium package which will run about $300 per month.