Financial emigration - certifying documents in Oz

greggle

There are lots of posts on this forum relating to getting your documents certified in South Africa for the Australian Dept of Immigration, but I can't find one for certifying in Australia for the South Africans.

I need to get my documents certified for my financial emigration - they have indicated that a Justice of the Peace is adequate, but then it also requires a stamp ("seal") on the verification certificate.

Could anyone who has done this (especially those who did it with more recently with FX Capital) please let me know how and where I can get this done, please. 

PS I am in Sydney.

Thanks

Edited by greggle

**crickets** 

"chirp chirp"

Hi @greggle, i recently got my document certified by the justice of the peace in Sydney but i am not sure what the stamp is that they require.

Sorry couldn't be of more help but i went to a JP at Town Hall, they are there daily, quick and don't charge.

Hi @greggle - just go to a normal justice of the peace. You can google where to find them in your area. They are usually found in libraries and larger shopping centres, but only on certain days and at certain times. Take full ID with you. They do use a stamp (not a wax seal).

I would avoid a proper commissioner of oaths like the plague, unless you feel

like parting with several hundred dollars for 15 minutes of his/her time.

We had to get some docs 'certified' in Brisbane for Absa, paid about $500 to a commissioner of oaths, and found out later that a JP would have been fine, but Absa didn't know the difference ;)

Edited by Bonny
Spelling

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

A normal JP can certify a document is a genuine copy.  This is fairly simple and the posts above have this covered.  He doesn't verify any of the content - just that the copy is the same as the original.

Recently had to notarise a signature on a Power of Attorney which is more complex.   This involves proving your ID & address and signing in front of the Notary who then stamps that the signature is true & correct for the person named i.e. you are who you say you are

The RSA honorary consul in Perth is best choice to do this in WA.  Using an Australian Notary is not as accepted in RSA as a Consular Official & will cost (a lot) as lawyers need to make living like the rest of us.

The honorary consul may make a small charge and you should make an appointment as this is something that can take up his and his staff's time - he runs a media company in West Perth as well as acting in this capacity.

We found him very helpful. 

Other states may have something similar e.g. Sydney or Brisbane or else you need to go to the High Commission in Canberra. 

The rules state the British Consul may be used (i.e. where RSA is not represented the UK is a backup for consular affairs) but they didn't seem to understand this when we contacted them.

I work in New Zealand often & the choice there is again the High Commission in Wellington, though feedback on the web is they are very hard to contact on the phone to make an appointment but there was a gent in Auckland NZ as an honorary Consul but he recently retired and said no-one had been appointed in his place.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your replies ... apologies for the delay in responding but I've had the family here and phew, playing tour-guide was hard work!

@ThomasH - appreciate your tips ... I've tried a couple of Justice of the Peace and they are very particular about what they will / wont do.