Renewing SA drivers licence?

GKatherine

Hi all, quick question (just want to make sure I understand correctly). If we land middle March 2017, and you are allowed to drive with your SA licence max 6 months (thus, middle September)... would you suggest that I renew my SA drivers that will be expiring middle October?  My understanding is that we can drive with the Australian drivers when visiting in South Africa.  Is there any reason that I am missing that will require me to renew my SA drivers now?  Thanks.

Nope - no reason - save yourself the aggro...... so long as you convert to Aus licence before your SA one expires (very easy process btw - should take you less than 1 hour to do - new licence will arrive in the post within 2 weeks of your application).

Awesome.  Thanks!  One thing less to worry about....

Remember to get the letter (you need the original) from the SA traffic department stating when and where you got your license, this is now required in some states when converting your SA license to an Aussie license.  

Thanks @ChrisH, I don't know about this.  How do you apply? Do you have to get the form from the traffic department, or do you know if it is downloadable?

Thanks Chris

Hi Everyone

I believe this is now the requirement although we haven't landed yet to go and apply we contacted the RTMC (Road Traffic Management Corporation) via email and then on the phone to have the Verification of South African Drivers License Letters issued for my wife and i.

They don't post of courier the original and are only based in Pretoria so we had to arrange for someone to collect and then send to us and all that they needed at the RTMC was our ID Copies for someone to collect. Unfortunately we don't have family or friends that could help so we contacted DocAssist but they quoted me R1,324 just to collect 2 pieces of paper for my wife and i from RTMC!! :angry:

So i was trolling through a Facebook Group for Sydney and came across and advert for PostNet Pretoria CBD - https://www.facebook.com/postnetptacbd/?fref=ts 

I sent them a message and instantly got a reply this morning confirming that they offer the service above and also the service for Police Clearance Collection etc and for our documents above it was R400 for both and that included the R99 PostNet to PostNet overnight delivery charge!! :ilikeit:

I was utterly blown away by their service and will definitely recommend Philip & Christa on any of your document requests!

Hope this helps and all the best ;)  

• Like 2