IELTS test VS Cambridge English test....

Vixon

HI All

I've tried the IELTS test before and wondered if the English Cambridge test is different, easier than the IELTS, the reason Im asking is that I need to score 8's in every module to reach my 20 points, due to this I investigated the Cambridge test as an alternative option for me to score the 20 mark.

I also see that this can be done online, I was just confused which module it would be as it has to be the general test.

Are all the modules the same, speaking, reading, listening, writing?

Does anyone know what is cost?, IELTS you looking at R3200

Regards

Thanks guys

• Like 1

Hi @Vixon, excuse the delay for this answer as we've been travelling.

I, Wayne, did both the IELTS and Cambridge English test. I did the Cambridge (CAE) as my second to also score maximum points and did succeed. I personally preferred the CAE to IELTS. 

An advantage of the CAE over IELTS is the result you obtain is meant to be kept indefinitely by Cambridge and so does not expire, whereas IELTS I think may expire after 5 years. 

I'll also try provide you with additional info below that your questions might have missed to try help you make a note informed decision with whether to undertake the CAE.

So, to try answer your questions three of the modules are done on the PC itself: reading, writing and listening. (More about speaking later).

It's different insofar as it's a more dynamic test than what IELTS can undertake with old fashioned pen and paper or one on one conversation. It can also seem harder on the face of it: for example you could be presented with bits of a technical article broken up by paragraph and be expected to visually order them.

As such it's also inadvertently testing some of your PC literacy. If you work a lot on computers then it can seem easier. 

I personally preferred the setup with PC's through Cambridge as it's firstly much more comfortable than the IELTS exam room and I type much faster than I write. You are also in much smaller groups as compared to IELTS. This may seem trite but I do believe in 'exam technique' with exams in general subtly influencing your results. Others may disagree.

Similarly I could read both the questions and my answers much more quickly on a computer screen, allowing me to always review my answers. Making changes on the computer was much easier than on a written piece of paper. 

The listening test also repeats the questions or spoken phrases you are questioned on. In IELTS you only have one chance to hear what is said.

I felt that helped too but once again you are then presented with a more dynamic answer template than with IELTS: for example I had to listen to several people briefly discussing their print media strategies and then match their publications to related discrete words on a table on the computer. 

The speaking is different to the IELTS and can feel more pressurised. You are randomly paired with another person who is also taking the tests and given a certain subject matter in one or more photos to discuss with an examiner in a group of three.

A fourth person (a second examiner) however also sits in with you behind the first examiner and takes notes while you speak. I see that as a subtle pressure tactic and you need to ignore them completely.

You are also recorded like with IELTS.

The first examiner will subtly guide the conversation but I did find they ask more difficult questions about the subject matter by coming at difficult technical angles. You also have to think on your feet more because your exam partner (or examiner) might speak very differently or inadvertently move the conversation in unexpected ways. 

They are however not as interested in the validity of what you say but rather how successfully you converse in the group. You can also be inadvertently  pressurised by your exam partner if they start to stumble or lose their nerve. 

I otherwise can't recall the costs but I think was lower than when I wrote last year as I went with the basic preparation without any additional coaching or such. Then again,  the prices may have moved considerably already. 

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi  Wayne

Thank you so much for this detailed response.It has also helped me.

By the way Vixon , the cost is about R2600 currently.

Thank you and Kind regards

Kishmira

• Like 2