IELTS Academic or General for ACS

EngineerZA

Question

I'm trying to figure out which IELTS test to do:
Academic or General

I'm trying to keep my options open as I have both an Engineering Degree and a Computer Science degree:

The Engineering route allows either:
IELTS Applicants who provide an IELTS test result must have a minimum score of 6.0 in each of the four modules of speaking, listening, reading and writing. Engineers Australia accepts both the General and Academic versions of the test. 

However, I cannot find anything about the Australian Computer Society requirements. Does anyone know if they accept either of the tests, or do I specifically need to take the "Academic" test?

Thanks!

5 answers to this question

Currently, ACS does not require English language proficiency for skills assessment. However, you would still need to demonstrate English proficiency for the purposes of your visa application.

I received my ACS skills assessment in March 2016. Although I have IELTS results with superior English, I did not submit it to ACS as they did not require it. Everything went fine.

What @Kevin said, you don't need English tests for an ACS skills assessment but you would need it for the actual VISA.  I did a Pearson PTE test.

I also did not have to submit my English tests results for the ACS accessment. For the Visa application I did both PTE academic and IELTS general, I scored enough in the IELS for the point I needed.

I've read that other people who wrote both said there isn't much difference, so you might as well write the Academic, and not worry about it.

Thanks all. I have booked my IELTS, as Engineers Australia does not accept Pearson. Writing the General Training test on 11 Feb. Now to do the practice tests!