Curtains

Nickyvd

Question

Hello Everyone,

Does anyone recommend bringing curtains across? i.e. did anybody bring and wish they hadn't or didn't bring and wish they had?

Thank you,

Nicky

7 answers to this question

@Nickyvd it would depend on what curtains you have. If , like me, you have heavy curtains, (mine were Biggie Best and fully lined), then honestly, you may not be wise to hang them in a rental home. Remember the house walls are not brick and concrete, they are mostly timber with plasterboard walls. Your curtains may well be too heavy and pull the rods down. Ours remained packed, until we built our first home. At that time, my husband ensured that there were timber struts at the right places, so that he could put up the necessary rods when the house was finished. I was over the moon when we sold the house to leave them behind, absolutely no regrets.

Now, like a lot of people, I have roller blinds and lace curtains... easy to care for and easy to hang!

• Like 4

As far as I know the curtains/blinds are supposed to stay with a house when it changes owners, in Victoria. I don't know if it's the same all over.

• Like 1

@RedPanda you are right, in Victoria, the curtains and blinds remain behind. By law, when you rent, the homes always have window coverings. It makes a lot of sense to me, as no two homes have the same size windows... When I hung mine in that first home, I spent weeks shortening and re-sizing mine, so that they would fit...

What I love about the roller blinds and net curtains. The net curtains I can put in the washing machine, wash, spin, take them out, and hang back up to dry! Quick and easy. Mine are actually a heavier lace, but works the same way! Anything to save time and effort!

• Like 1

I bought nice Ikea curtains in Aus and hung them in each home, un-hemmed (to my mothers horror). I would buy $10 metal rods from Ikea each time we moved into a house and screw it to the wooden surround we have had in each house in Sydney.  This was just my preferance and on top of the blinds provided. When we finally bought, I bought nicer rods and flew my mum in to come hem my curtains ;)

• Like 2

Thank you so much @Mara , @RedPanda and @rozellem ! We are selling most of our goods and only bringing things that seem worthwhile that others have recommended. So now something more valuable can take the curtains place. ;)

• Like 2