Selling Everything!

Deezo

Hi Members

I have searched through this forum and cant seem to find much on the topic of selling or "closing-up shop" this side?

There are many posts about shipping and logistics from SA but i have a few questions:

1) What would be the best way (easiest and fastest) to sell all our household items? Auction? Gumtree? Facebook?

2) How on earth do you put prices on some items?? 

Thanks so much and any feedback would be great :) 

Cheers,

Hi

Suppose it comes down to how new the item is and the cost to replace it in Australia. I am in the same boat as i am not sure if I should take over my fridge or dishwasher or just buy new there.

Also, remember that you can always drop the price slightly if things dont sell - so go for as much as you can get cause ever bit helps.

Very true @FingersCrossed ;)  

Just hard to put a price on something when you cant compare it but i guess i will have to see what the newer models etc go for now 2nd hand and then see.

For us we have no option but to sell as we will be staying with friends until we are on our feet and dont want to spend money for storage etc so we will have to buy "cheaper" items in the beginning if need be and then upgrade down the road.

@Deezo we have been selling everything as we are going on a road trip before we head out.

I first took photos of everything we wanted to sell and made a list on Excel with pics, any notes and price. If I wasn't sure what to price it as, I did exactly as you mentioned and checked what new models and second hand models are going for. Some items have increased in value so much that I was able to sell it for the same price as what I bought it for but it was still half the price of one new. Other items hold very little value second hand. I then pdf'd the list and sent it out to friends and family and asked them to send it out to anyone they knew might be interested. I sold many items this way. Anything that didn't sell I posted on Gumtree. Gumtree has really surprised me, I have had much interest and sold many items. Don't be scared to put even the most random items on your list or Gumtree, you would be surprised what is in demand - I certainly was. For example spare garden pots... you won't believe how many queries I had for garden pots. When I posted to Gumtree I also added a small negotiation margin on top of the price of the original list (I didn't go crazy though, you still want people to contact you). Many people on Gumtree want to negotiate.

I know there are Buy or Sell Facebook groups for different areas and nationally which many people love and have used very successfully. I haven't tried them yet though, I might if there are any lingering items that won't let us go :lol:. There is also a place called 'Moving On' that will hold a sale day for you. This is great if you want to move a lot of stuff quick but not great if you are looking to get any monetary value from your goods.

Hope that helps B)

• Like 4

I just saw that you were from Umhlanga. The Facebook groups might work really well for you as that area is much more community minded. My brother lives in Ballito and uses it all the time.

• Like 1

Hi Deezo,

We sold our house early this year and have been renting since.

I made a pdf sales catalogue - took pictures of all my goods and included the full description with the price I wanted. I categorized into appliance, furniture etc.

For each item I had a "condition" section that described age of item, what I paid for it and the current condition (like any scratches, etc)

I included reference numbers for each item and at the end my banking details. 

I had one section in the "catalogue" that showed items that I was only willing to part with in Jan before we leave. For these I asked for a 50% deposit. (This required some negotiation and a drop in price for some things)

I sent it to my family and friends and asked them to pass it on. I was soooo surprised -all got sold within 2 weeks. Mainly to their work colleagues. 

We sold both of our cars to family members- was painless as well. My husband is using his mum's car for the next 2 weeks. Then I am on leave. My car will go end of Jan just before we leave. 

Hope this helps...

• Like 3

Oh wow!!!

Thanks so much @Nickyvd & @niro :) 

This has been a great help!!!

I know some of our family wanted to have a look at a few things but you kinda brush it off and move on but i will definitely contact everyone we know first and then see from there what is still left and look at Gumtree and Facebook to get it sold ;) 

Going to start working on a list tonight so thanks for giving me something to do :ilikeit:

@Deezo - I also found Gumtree surprizingly good. Just build in a buffer for negotiations because they all want to  negotiate. And be patient, sometimes I sold something a month after I posted it.

At the end I still had a few odds and ends left and I called a guy from a second hand shop and he gave me R300 for the lot, took even the junk and picked everything up from our house.

Start early and be patient.

Edited by Dora
  • Like 1

Thanks so much for the advice @Dora :) 

I have started making our list so once its completed i will send to family and friends for first choice and then we will try Gumtree ;) 

We also live in a smaller community and have great success with Facebook community groups. But instead of posting individual adverts or 1 massive advert I created a public Facebook group where I listed all my items. Then I just shared the link on my profile as well as a few community groups. That way the ads were all in one place and easy to manage and I could keep adding things as we sorted out the house. In the end I had very little negotiation but then again we did price on the lower side to sell quickly.

• Like 3

Thats another great idea @JackoFam :) 

Thank you for the input!

Lol now we just need to get the list and pricing finalised so we can send out to everyone ;) 

• Like 1