Seems Aus is a go

MariusO2

Hi everyone. 

I registered some time ago and have been browsing lightly through the various boards. Our journey to Aus has been slightly different, so far, to that of most people. Here's our story so far...

In 2005 we moved to Canada. It's a long, involved story regarding being treated like dirt by the very union I belonged to which lead to a halt in retraining. This is a crucial requirement all over the globe in my line of work and so we showed the Canucks the middle finger and came back to the RSA in 2006. I couldn't afford to wait for them to get their house in order as my licence to work has a time limit on it and I wasn't going to start from scratch. 

Now, 10 years later, I applied for a job in Melbourne. It was just a "testing of the waters" at first but it seems that things are steaming ahead apace. Here's the timeline:

July 2016: Applied for job online.

August 2016: Had to write psychometric and aptitude tests online. 

September: Telephonic interview with prospective employer. 

October: Prospective employer verified my application with professional references I supplied. 

November: got told yesterday that the course dates for retraining will be published soon and that I can expect to start in Melbourne any time from July 2017.

So here I am waiting for a start date so that I can commence the application for a 402 visa. It's a "Training and Research" visa and I was wondering who has had experience of applying for this visa class. Any tips and a general heads up would be appreciated. 

My my partner and I will be moving with our two Staffies and any comments anybody would like to leave with respect to transport and quarantine would be nice. I generally know what to expect, having taken our other dogs to Canada and back, but I know every country is different. The closing of the quarantine station in Sydney will add to the hassle, I'm sure. 

Thats all for now. I'll keep you all posted on our progress. 

Cheers,

Marius. 

Hello Marius and welcome to the forum!

Please note the SC402 visa will be closed to new applications from 19th November and will be replaced by a SC407 training visa.  Feel free to conact me if you require further information re this.

Regards.

• Like 1

Welcome @MariusO2

Don't know much about training visas but having a job lined up is such a benefit.

I have posted the process for bringing pets over in another thread. Just know that you need to start the process, specifically rabies injections and tests, at least 6 months before leaving for Oz. Quarantine is 10 days in Melbourne.