2 years in...

AFreshStart

Nice one Matt! I and I'm surely many others on this forum are really grateful for all the advice you provide so abundantly and in such great deal. Really glad you're doing well.

• Like 4

Wonderful. Thank you for sharing all your experiences and tips. I love your positive, embrace it all attitude.

• Like 2

Congratulations Matt. It is all about positive attitudes and taking the rough with the smooth.

Good on ya mate :)

• Like 1

Yeah Congrats, I hope my family and I have a similar story to tell in 2 years time!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Matt,

Thanks for the post. It's great to hear a story as positive as yours. Can you give some insights as to what you think the key factors were in your family being able to make this transition successfully? Certainly treating it as a sabbatical as you mentioned would make the wrench of leave much less painful and is a great mindset.

So what are that factors that have allowed you to make the transition?  Jobs before arrival? Both partners equally committed to the move? Compelling reason for leaving SA? Family in Australia? Realistic understanding of the cost of living?

Your post is intriguing because you have focussed not only on "what's better than SA" but the fact that you have actually embraced and thrived Down Under. I would love some insights.

Regards,
Evan

On 2016/11/23 at 7:26 PM, ITG said:

Matt,

Thanks for the post. It's great to hear a story as positive as yours. Can you give some insights as to what you think the key factors were in your family being able to make this transition successfully? Certainly treating it as a sabbatical as you mentioned would make the wrench of leave much less painful and is a great mindset.

So what are that factors that have allowed you to make the transition?  Jobs before arrival? Both partners equally committed to the move? Compelling reason for leaving SA? Family in Australia? Realistic understanding of the cost of living?

Your post is intriguing because you have focussed not only on "what's better than SA" but the fact that you have actually embraced and thrived Down Under. I would love some insights.

Regards,
Evan

Hi @ITG,

While we approached it as a sabbatical I believe part of what made the move easier is diving in with 2-feet. We deliberated keeping our home in South Africa, but in the end sold up before we moved. We felt if we moved back we'd start over anyway and who knew where me might end up, but in doing so I think it made the decision to stay even easier, not living in "two worlds" with one foot still in South Africa.

RE your other questions, my thoughts below:

Jobs before arrival? 

Yes, my wife did at least. I spent the first year settling us. I was a stay-at-home Dad, my daughter was only able to get into daycare 1 day a week at first, finally moving to 3-days before moving in 5-days a week this year, where I started working part-time, and now have a full-time post.

Both partners equally committed to the move?

Indeed, you need to support each other and we were both committed to the same goals and in some cases needed to lean on each other more than ever, and still do, esp. since we are now juggling two full-time jobs and two young children without the aid of family support and cleaner/nanny etc.

Compelling reason for leaving SA?

Our children and their futures. With inflation the way it was it would have cost us R1-million per child to put them through a University Degree, this before some of them started to burn, not to mention the cost of schooling. Here my son is at one of the fastest growing State schools with EXCELLENT teachers and facilities and it costs us a whopping $350 a year in optional donations to help support their arts and sports programs. Here they will have access to State subsidized tertiary education and as citizens currently have the option to work abroad in 14+ countries throughout the world. We also had to be realistic and say as parents there was a good chance they may leave us in time and had we stayed in South Africa would we have the finances to follow them? The ZAR has been on a downwards spiral for years, it wasn't looking good and so all of these things played into our decision to move and then stay.

Family in Australia?

At the time, no, though my eldest brother has since moved to Sydney after 15-years in London. Our lives are quite different and we are at different stages of life, kids, careers and so we don't connect as often as I'd like, but will be spending Christmas together and enjoy the time we have we can connect. But at the time it wasn't a factor.

Realistic understanding of the cost of living?

Absolutely! We knew what moving here would mean, it meant a step down in the luxuries we afforded ourselves in South Africa, we knew it would mean scaling back. We moved from a 3-bedroom house in the suburbs to a 2-bedroom apartment in the City, 1/4th the ERF size, but we LOVE it and have a better work-life balance, but since we were mentally prepared for it it was an easy transition. The reality is that in Sydney right now has 60+ suburbs have reached the point where the median price for a home has risen to over $1 million, our apartment has just been valued at over $970K and it's showing no signs of slowing. It's best to realize all of this before arriving and scaling back, we transitioned before we moved which further settled us.

Lastly it's just committing to the Australian way of life, for us moving into a multi-cultural hot spot, meeting people, volunteering, finding a local Church, meeting our neighbours, just putting ourselves out there to establish a network and build a community. You need to do the work, life works as it works here, it's not South Africa, it's Australia, embrace it and give it a fair go.

Cheers

Matt

• Like 4

Thanks for the detailed response Matt - "it's not South Africa, it's Australia, embrace it and give it a fair go." perfect last sentence!

Cheers,
Evan

• Like 2