Babies born in Austalia

Lourica

Good day, I need some help.  My husband, me and my two daughters came over to Australia in 2010 on PR visa.  In 2013 my third child was born in Australia.  We are still not citizens, but hope to apply soon. So we are still all on South African passports except my last born.  We want to visit the family in South Africa soon and was wondering is my third child eligible for an Australian passport even if we are still on PR. And if so what do we need to apply for one..  Someone told me about a citizenship certificate, but it does not make sense because she was born here.. Is there any families out there in the same situation as us.  Please help..  I tried to phone immigration this afternoon, there is an hour waiting queue.  Hope someone can maybe help me a bit quicker on this forum..

Regards

Lettie

If a child is born to someone who has PR then to the best of my knowledge, they are citizens and can get an Aus passport. She wouldn't need a citizenship certificate, just her birth certificate and your proof of PR. 

• Like 1

Yip, take her birth cert to the Post Office and get her passport through them. We were in your position and flew abroad with our newly minted Aussie at 5 weeks. Ask them exactly what you need, or check on their website to minimise a trip. 

• Like 1

Ps. Check your own requirements for a Resident Return Visa, see if you need one to come back into the country. We did after a few years. 

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for your responses!  I am doing the passport tomorrow.  Thanks Rozellem, we will definitely have a look at the return visa..!

@Lourica

You should be able to get their passport no issues at all, since you are already on PR and have been here for a while. We had our 3rd child here but cos we were not PR by thern, we could not apply. We are now all 100% Aussie and as proud as chips.

• 1 month later...

Thanks all for your reply.!!  Just to check in.. They did not want to give me a passport for my baby born in Australia at the post office.  I first have to apply for a citizenship certificate before I can get a passport.  No biggy.. Now we are all doing our citizenship.  Writing the test in April ?

Australia changed its citizenship laws in 1986.

Before then, any child born in Australia was automatically an Australian citizen, but due to abuse from third world migrants in some Western countries (Nigerian women flying to Ireland to have their baby then leaving afterwards), Australia saw fit to tighten up on its citizenship eligibility.

Any child born in Australia to a mum or dad who is an Australian citizen, or has permanent residency automatically has citizenship.

A birth certificate will get the child an Australian passport.

• Like 1