Citizenship application

BellaR

Next month we are eleigible to apply for citizenship - YAY!

A couple of questions...

What documentation will I need? 

Can I set up an immi account in the meantime, fill in all the paperwork and then submit on the day we're eligible?

Thanks

?

• Like 2

Sorry Bella - can't help with that - but saw on your Sig that you love Maine Coon cats - you should check out my mother's Cattery (www.kernes.co.za) - she is still in ZAR (Edenvale).

Lol, small world!  If I'm not mistaken it was actually your mom who put me in touch with another breeder to buy my Maine Coon, Gucci, back in South Africa. ?

@BellaR, we are eligible to apply on 31 March 2017, can't believe it's almost been 4 years. Not really sure what docs we'll need but I'm sure it will give you a list at the end of the application.

You can create an Immi account and start the process but it gets to a point where it asks your date of arrival and dates of time spent outside Australia after arrival and does a calculation, if you're not eligible it won't let you go any further.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow @BellaR

Time flies darn! The citizenship process is a doddle as Juju says you can apply and go as far as the dates check, then just wait till you hit the magical 4 year mark. Welcome, Aussie!:P

I've gone as far as I can on my hubby's application, and will be able to finish up and submit on 8 December!  Super excited!

Will I be able to do the entire family application on one immi account?

As for the passport size photos required, can I take the photos myself (obvs making sure sizes are correct) and just go get them printed at OfficeWorx instead of having actual passport photos taken which will be way more expensive. It just says laser printed photos not permitted, but I figure if I have them printed at the photo section of OfficeWorx that should be fine...?

Also really hoping to get citizenship ceremony fast tracked as my son wants to go to uni next year. Here in Townsville they have ceremonies once a month so I don't see why it should be a problem. 

@SurferMan any advice on above questions?:)

• Like 1

On 04/11/2016 at 0:59 PM, BellaR said:

Lol, small world!  If I'm not mistaken it was actually your mom who put me in touch with another breeder to buy my Maine Coon, Gucci, back in South Africa. ?

@Waylander

Also, would a letter from the bank qualify as proof of address. Everything they mention ie. electricity account is only in hubby's name...

Also.... do documents that I scan through need to be certified?

No, the docs must not be certified.  They will message you that the docs do not meet their requirements if you have certified them.  Any doc with your address on will suffice, just be prepared to take a hard copy with for your citizenship test / interview.  Good luck!

Thank you so much for your reply! :)

Only read now that you had more questions.  Here goes.  Best to get the official pics at the Post Office.  These are date stamped and they want you to pose in a certain way (no smiling, no fringe in eyes, etc.)  Adults lodge on individual immi accounts, children can be assigned to either adult although I am not sure about your child going to uni next year - probably an individual / adult submission depending on age?

Ok, thanks for that. I thought the whole family could lodge on the same immi acc :(

@BellaR Are you keeping your SA citizenship? If yes do you have a retention of citizenship certificate? We have still not arrived in SA but are wondering if we should apply for this while we are still in SA

@JackoFam do not stress yourself, you have four years to settle in, before you are eligible for citizenship. You may change your mind in the meantime and if you don't then you can apply a year before you are eligible for your Aussie citizenship.

Thanks @Mara that's exactly what I was thinking but thought perhaps I should just check - I have so much else to do these last few weeks so taking something off the list is a big relief.

51 minutes ago, JackoFam said:

@BellaR Are you keeping your SA citizenship? If yes do you have a retention of citizenship certificate? We have still not arrived in SA but are wondering if we should apply for this while we are still in SA

No, we are renouncing our SA citizenship. :)

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Mara said:

@JackoFam do not stress yourself, you have four years to settle in, before you are eligible for citizenship. You may change your mind in the meantime and if you don't then you can apply a year before you are eligible for your Aussie citizenship.

Mara, perhaps you could help me here...

Will I be able to submit our entire family's citizenship on the same immi account? I have 2 boys over 18 and 1 under. I thought I might be able to do all of our applications on the one immi account, but now I'm not sure... 

I've set up my husband's and filled in as far as I can until lodgement date (which is 8/12) so if I need to set up one for myself and one for each of my boys over 18, I'd like to get on that asap.

Can you advise? Thanks in advance. :)

@BellaR, I have absolutely no idea, as only hubby and I are Australian citizens, my children were adults, they have to do their own thing, the youngest lives in Australia but is a NZ citizen and the oldest never moved to Australia, he lives in NZ. As we arrived many, many years ago, I do not remember anything really, but I do know that we each had our own form and were interviewed separately.

I checked with my friend Google, here is a link, if you check it out and do not find an answer, then call the number at the bottom, they will be sure to help you.

https://www.immigrationdirect.com.au/australian-citizenship/citizenship-application.jsp

You are most welcome.

You are most welcome.