Trash talk

WayneAndMel

This is more out of curiosity but are there any requirements for disposing of one's garbage or rubbish and how strict are the authorities about it?

I ask because relatives in the UK mentioned how their municipality's garbage disposal process requires them to strictly separate all their trash into glass, plastics, paper, metals, biodegradables and other. One day they accidentally left a tin can in the wrong bin and the next day found the garbage man on their door step, holding the evidence of their crime and threatening to fine them for throwing their rubbish away in the wrong manner.

I realise that's typical nanny state behaviour the UK but is Australia similar at all?

@WayneAndMel,

I can only speak for Sydney as I'm sure these differ not only State to State but district to district as this is done at a municipal level.

We have 3 bins - Red, which is General Waste, Yellow which is Recycling and Green which is Green Waste.

These are for household waste only, if you want something larger removed you can put it out on selected days for council pick-up and even book a pick-up for larger items like mattresses and fridges.

Quarterly they also highlight e-waste days where they set up a collection point where you can dispose of old electronic smalls.

Most supermarkets are set up to dispose of old bags, batteries, light globes etc.

I've not heard of them knocking on doors, but have seen the men looking inside and if you haven't followed the rules they just close them and leave them, so you come back to a full bin, and truthfully, fair call.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Matt

• Like 1

Melbourne is similar to above.

We have 3 bins - general rubbish, recycling and garden waste.

Shops have places you can take batteries, plastic bags etc for recycling

The arrangements for picking up bulk rubbish items can vary by municipality. 

• Like 1

We have a white goods collection twice a year when the council collects your old appliances, mattresses, furniture etc - things you would usually take to the tip but you definitely can't put paint out with general rubbish. 

• Like 1

we have just had the verge collections in our area of Perth. Basically you can put all your junk on your verge during an allocated time and the municipality collects it for you. Its absolutely amazing what people throw out so you can also pick up a real bargain.