Talk to me about beds please

Tntaglia

I'm trying to get my head around the sell-and-buy-new vs pack-up-and-take-along scenarios for our current furniture. I've been scouring the websites of furniture stores in Sydney and furniture rental agencies etc and came across this odd beast called the king single bed. I'm really confused - what is this? Is it a broader or longer single bed? Some stores have single beds, king single beds and long single beds to just make the whole thing worse. 

Also, I was under the impression that all beds in Oz are what we would call extra length in SA - but some stores also sell a super king size bed, does this mean an even wider bed (so king and super king are the same length) or am I missing something?

Thanks!

You will have to compare the actual dimensions.

In SA, a normal length bed [shivers at the horror] is 188cm long, while a extra length is 200cm long.

A queen is 152cm wide,

a king is 200cm wide,

For the small and short people,

Double is 137cm wide,

three quarter is 107cm wide,

single is 91cm wide

Google for Aus (bed sizes are generic, not brand specific), I'm taking my Simmons and Serta extra lengths with, brand name beds are stupid expensive in Aus.

Edited by Queque
  • Like 2

Explanation for single beds

a single bed : is a single bed

a long single bed : is an extra length single

a king single bed : is a 3/4 bed.

This seems to be a good link:

https://www.bedsonline.com.au/mattress-size-chart/

And this one gives you more information than you need: just scroll down when it opens!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bed_size

• Like 1

Yup, your best bet/bed will be to just compare the dimensions.

Depending on whether you like camping, you will later discover that air mattresses are called the same sizes, but are actually different too... So, fun times hey? (It staves off boredom. That's my theory, and I'm sticking to it.)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

OK from those links (thanks @Mara!) the extra length in SA is still shorter than the Aus version, by only 3 cm but that could make a huge difference when trying to fit a fitted sheet. I was thinking about buying a new bed here since ours is a bit old, and having it shipped. Or to at least buy some extra bedding here and take it along, and buy new beds in Oz. But the bedding won't fit if there's 3cm extra on the length, so that's very good to know.

Decisions decisions! 

@tntaglia you know, although most people complain about the cost of bedding here, I have definitely found some wonderful bargains on the sales at Harris Scarfe, Lincraft and Spotlight. For everyday buying at K-Mart and Big W. Then just do a search online, you will be amazed at what you come up with.

I have often bought Queen fitted, flat and 2 pillowcases, 1000tc made in the USA, for around $70 per set, on the sales at Harris Scarfe.

• Like 2

I have also read a lot about bedding, but when I started looking for myself in stores the prices were fine. So if you buy a bed here, buy the sheets here too. That's what I would do.

• Like 1