Newbies

PatPar

Hi Everyone, thanks for accepting us into this forum. We have just recently put in our application for a 143 Contributory Parent (Migrant) Visa. We will be scouring the forum for any information and advice to help us through this waiting period. Lots of work ahead of us, sorting out our stuff, finalising many things and calculating our finances against the AUD. This forum seems like it has a wealth of information to help us through this daunting period.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum... hope you find many answers here. Where are you planning to settle? We are a nosy lot... so please tell!

Edited by Mara
  • Like 1

Hi Mara, thanks, I'm sure we will pick up lots of information. To answer your question, where we will be able to afford property! We have considered though it would be between Brisbane and Sydney, although Sydney's prices are so expensive. It all depends when arrive in Australia, and if we will go straight into pension or have to work for a while still. Trying to accumulate as much ZAR as we can! We still have a long wait, though, so hopefully we can do that. Each time something happens here in SA and the rand drops we hold our breath.

Sydney is incredibly expensive on real estate!

Patpar, do not exclude some of the smaller places and country towns, especially if you are on pension. Properties would be a lot less expensive!

• Like 1

Thanks, Tntaglia and Mara, yes, we are very aware that property in Sydney is expensive and we would only stay there if we had to work from there. We have been told by friends in Oz that smaller towns are a bit cheaper. At the moment our biggest concern is to get this visa processed and reading bits in 'the waiting room' forum, its going to take a long time, probably longer than expected. Still, we'll use this opportunity to figure our what we need to do, sort our things out and chuck out our in excess of 50 years of accumulated stuff. That alone will take a long time. I'll also be searching for the spreadsheet that someone posted about 100 things to do before you go. I read some of that a while back when I was still stalking this forum and now that we have actually submitted our application I want to go over it again. Looking forward to any more comments and advice.

• 1 month later...

Hi PatPar. You are welcome to join all of us in the waiting room for the 143 Contributory Parent Visa on the thread :

We are all in the same boat :)