My Landing Diary

TakeItOnTheChin

Well, we are landing in Oz at the end of November 2016, basically in a month to start our new life! The family is excited. There is so much anticipation and also anxiousness on my part, I just hope we can settle in quickly and get on with our lifes without too many bumps in the road. I am use to getting over bumps, we have lived in many parts of the world in the last 16 years due to work opportunities, especially in the Middle East, so the family is quite use to getting uprooted. We spent a month in Australia on holiday in Ausgust, loved it and that really spurred us on. We will locate ourselves in Tamworth, NSW. I am on a 489 visa and need to spend 2 years in a regional area. This is due to the fact that I am 47 and lost age points for the visa, so started this process late in life. This move to Oz will be the last one because I need to settle the family and kids down, who are now 7 and 14. Good time to get them into the Oz way of life and schooling system.

I thought I would also log a diary so folks can see our progress, give encouragement, swap advise, etc, etc, etc and I can put in writing good experiences, hardships, etc. I obviously wish I can get to a point when we are content with our life downunder, how long that will take needs to be seen. We are pretty positive people and generally look beyond obstacles.

Some of the challenges lying ahead: Finding a temporary furnished place to stay in December and hope to find a permanent place by 1 January 2017; we are currently in Kuwait but have most of our stuff in SA which will leave in a container by the last week in November, expected to land in Tamworth by the 1st or 2nd week in January, so quite important to find a place by then, either way I will have a place without a container or a container without a place; a residential address is quite important because without it I cannot finalise schools (within the catchment area/zone I would like to send the kids), and can't finalise the drivers licence or buy a car. So the longer I am without an address the longer I will be paying hire rates for a car and accomodation, so those are my first thoughts. I still need to find a job ofcourse but we have saved up so can go a while without, but don't want to throw all our cash away either. I am in construction, on the commercial/quantity surveying side and I therefore expect that I may not find ideal work in Tamworth, I may need to travel to other parts of regional NSW. There seems to be a lot going on construction wise, but it is difficult trying to find a job when not in Oz, so I have given myself time, while settling the family, to research further. I have started the job research as I have ex-colleagues in Oz, but nothing is guaranteed.

When we were on holiday in Oz we landed in Brisbane, spent some time there with family, travelled to Toowoomba to visit friends and then down to Tamworth where we spent a week getting to know the town, we enjoyed it. We then made our way to Coffs Harbour, spent a few days there and then up to the Gold Coast for 5 days and Brisbane again. It was Lekka! This time I want to fly into Sydney and then make the Journey up to Tamworth, to get a different view of NSW and our area. We may spend a day or two in Sydney to check out the more obvious tourist destinations but don't want to hang around too long, expensive place!

If we get our stuff sorted in Tamworth by early December (which I doubt), then we may make our way back up to Brisbane to spend time over xmas with family and friends. So at this stage plenty logistics and I will keep this up to date periodically, maybe once more before we leave and then again a week after landing.

Good luck to all of you going through this process, see ya in Oz!

Edited by TakeItOnTheChin
  • Like 4

Good luck, I sincerely hope that everything falls into place for you, especiall the elusive job!

• Like 1

You can get a drivers license and a car with a temporary address. You will just need to go online and do a change of address with the RMA (Roads and Maritime Services, who issue your drivers' license). They will send you a sticker with the new address for your license.

• Like 2

Good luck. I will be following your landing with interest as we land in Melbourne a month after you on 4th January. I am having same thoughts on house vs school and timing of container.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pell said:

You can get a drivers license and a car with a temporary address. You will just need to go online and do a change of address with the RMA (Roads and Maritime Services, who issue your drivers' license). They will send you a sticker with the new address for your license.

Thanks Pell for the great advise

• 5 weeks later...

Hi All,

A quick update. Things have been hectic but fantastic, landed in Sydney yesterday, had an interview this morning which was really promising and another on Thursday, things are really falling into place. The whole Tamworth thing is now out of the window as the work opportunities I now have may mean we will possibly be living in Coffs Harbour, which I think is great, spent 3 days there in August. I should have clarity by the end of this week. If the job comes through then we will take a slow drive up to Coffs and spend 10 days there searching accommodation, schools, etc. I will need to hire a bakkie (Ute) to get all this kit there, we had 210kg's on the plane!!! So if there is anyone on here that can give advice on Coffs then that would be great. We will spend xmas with family in Brisbane with family. I have the container arriving from SA between 5 and 15 January so the pressure is on. Life would certainly be a lot easier having a job to start with, a relief in the whole process.

Spent some time taking in the Opera House, Harbour Bridge and a few nice cold ones this afternoon (so Facebook is taken care of). Great city but I still prefer Brisbane. Have not been to Melbourne yet but hope that will happen next year some time.

I am very thankful where we are right now, it feels great. I will keep in touch and let you know how our settling in pans out. Have the driving licence letters being couriered over this week, so hopefully we have all our ducks in a row, but we predict challenges on the way. My family are very happy-go-lucky so it is all just an adventure for them at the moment.

I hold thumbs to all of those settling in or on there way, or still going through the visa process. I am happy to share any experiences we have had.

God Bless!

Edited by TakeItOnTheChin
  • Like 4

Hi Take it on the chin, Coffs Harbour is a great town, although my perspective is slightly different as I will be going to Oz retired. My choice of towns in order of preference is Noosa , Bribie Island,TinCan Bay inQueensland and Coffs Harbour and Byron Bay in New South Wales. My visa app went in 6 months ago for the 143, so I still have approx 18 months to go. Time, she is dragging now.

• Like 1

HI :)

There are lots of us Saffers in Coffs - well I've heard there are plenty though I've only met a few ;) 

Coffs is great, you'll love it.  Our kids are 11 and 14, younger one is in Sawtell Public School, and older one is at St John Paul College.  There are lots of schools to choose from, depending on where you live...start from there.

Good luck with the job, hope all goes well.  PM or post again with specific questions and we'll help all we can.

Good luck Jarryd with your 143app :ilikeit:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MelG said:

HI :)

There are lots of us Saffers in Coffs - well I've heard there are plenty though I've only met a few ;) 

Coffs is great, you'll love it.  Our kids are 11 and 14, younger one is in Sawtell Public School, and older one is at St John Paul College.  There are lots of schools to choose from, depending on where you live...start from there.

Good luck with the job, hope all goes well.  PM or post again with specific questions and we'll help all we can.

Good luck Jarryd with your 143app :ilikeit:

MelG,

Many thanks for the post. We are arriving in Coffs tomorrow for a 2 week stay to get to know the place and the people. We have arranged a braai with a local Saffa, and we will start by picking his brain. Finding a place to rent is our first priority taking into consideration the schools. So with that in mind can you recommend the areas most convenient to stay in. I will be working out of town so the suburb we stay in does not really matter. I have a girl of 7 and a son of 14. I am assuming private schools for high school children is the better option? Any info would be much appreciated. See ya there!

• Like 1

Hi there.  Sorry for only getting back to you now.   You must be here already :D  

I am sure you have information overload at the moment - so not sure where to start ;)   Our son (11) is at a public school, Yr6. Next year he will join my daughter (14) in high school at St John Paul College.  There are buses from most schools to almost everywhere so you don't really have to worry too much with regards to where you stay, and there are usually a selection of primary schools in near vicinity to each other so you will probably find that will also work out. 

PM me if you find the time and would like to hook up.  We can do evenings and weekends.

• 1 month later...

Well since my last update on 8 December so much has happened.............and it has all been surprising and really fantastic. I was given a permanent contract from the first interview I had in Sydney in early December. That really made Christmas sweet and took the pressure off us as a family and I start at the end of January. Life in Coffs has been nothing short of an absolute peach. Beach after beach, can't decide which is best and so much to do for family and kids. Don't know how I am going to settle back into work life, I have been a bum for almost 2 months.

We have found a great place to stay, which was the other stress, and moved in at the beginning of January. Drivers Licences were sorted pretty quickly and we also managed to see schools before they closed for the break in December. We met other South Africans on our second day in Coffs Harbour and got a lot of advice and other help. The locals here are also very helpful and friendly, Oz already feels like home.

Tomorrow our container arrives, so that will keep us busy for a while and kids also start school next week, so lots happening.

It has been a good landing for us so far, and we are very grateful for that, it was not expected. I am sure there will still be challenges to overcome but we could not have had it much better. Someone has been looking after us. 

To all other new arrivals or those who are only starting out with the immigration process or decision making, good luck to you all, this forum has a lot to offer with regards information and I am happy to assist also. Australia is a wonderful country and seems to have a lot to offer those who are willing to give it a good go, work hard, and genuine to make it their home.

Cheers

• Like 7

Great post, thanks Takeitonthechin & MelG.

I have NSW sponsorship (Northern Inland) so on the prowl for towns, jobs, schools...

489 Application went in on 21st Dec 2016, so am struggling with "waiting room blues"...

I'll be looking for schooling for 2x 14yo & 1x 12yo boys! And (possibly) Secondary School Maths or Geog teaching post for me.

Coffs sounds great. I know Crescent Head from a holiday years ago, and love that coast.

My family is in WA, though, so it's going to be hard...

1 hour ago, kvh said:

Great post, thanks Takeitonthechin & MelG.

I have NSW sponsorship (Northern Inland) so on the prowl for towns, jobs, schools...

489 Application went in on 21st Dec 2016, so am struggling with "waiting room blues"...

I'll be looking for schooling for 2x 14yo & 1x 12yo boys! And (possibly) Secondary School Maths or Geog teaching post for me.

Coffs sounds great. I know Crescent Head from a holiday years ago, and love that coast.

My family is in WA, though, so it's going to be hard...

Coffs Harbour is fantastic, you will not regret it at all. Good schools and plenty to do, the East Coast is much better than WA, so don't worry at all. You should not expect to wait too much longer for the visa at this stage, it should take between 2 and 3 months. The 489 is one of the priority visas because it is regional.

Good luck and hope to see you

• Like 1

Thanks for your encouragement, TiotC. I've just got hold of my agent - they haven't heard anything. I understand that they need to contact my ex (& father of my children) to see if he did actually provide consent. I guess once they've contacted him, then I'll feel a bit like it's moving. Tough time doing it over Christmas Break. Not well thought out my yours truly... :) 

See you on the East Coast... So beautiful there.

• Like 1

Yea, everyone goes slowly over Christmas.