when we land

SJR2015

HI Everyone, 

We are just starting the Process of getting over to Australia, and I was just wondering, what happens once you land? We don't know anyone in Australia and are looking at relocating to NSW hopefully.

Once we land do we just have to find our own way? We have a little girl so we are concerned about where we would sleep the first couple of nights and how we would get from the Airport to where we need to be? We are extremely excited to be starting the process but also terrified all at the same time :) we should be coming over on the 189 Visa if that does make any difference to my question? 

Sorry if this question has been asked before.

Any other advice will be highly appreciated :)

Hi

Most people either stay with people they know for a few days or they book accommodation through airbnb. Depending on where you go, you can look at friends fetching you from airport, taxi or train, although train might be a bit hectic, especially with kids in tow.

• Like 1

Checkout the local Facebook pages too. I know here in Perth there are loads of people helping out with short term rental accommodations. There must be something similar for other states. For Perth check out:

http://www.ozhouserental.com/

contact Edith Van Dommelen in Perth :relocate_rentals@yahoo.com.au

Hope this helps :-)

Where are you flying to?

As you don't know anyone, look at what time you will be arriving, how far your destination is from the airport and go from there. It may be easier to spend a night somewhere close to the airport before finding your feet. I do not recommend tackling public transport when you are jet lagged, exhausted, emotionally drained and it is late at night. A taxi I would say is probably your most sensible option in these circumstances.

If your little one is still in a car seat, you can fasten this in the taxi, presuming it will be with you and your luggage.

@DXB2OZ thank you so much for your reply and the info :) definitely sounds like a good idea to rather get some sleep and regroup before tackling the traffic of a new country;) 

@Riekie we are hoping to get jobs in New South Wales so would fly to Sydney if all goes to plan :) 

I would recommend spending the first 3 nights or so in the city where you'll be close to everything (either within walking distance or easily reachable by public transport) while you're finding your feet. The taxi ride from the airport to the city will also be much much cheaper than going to the suburbs.  We lived in the Hills District - very popular area for South Africans - and a taxi to the airport could cost anything from $125 to $180! Depending on how long you're planning on remaining in Sydney, I would then find a more long term place to live - either a furnished apartment or even a cabin in a caravan park, or if you're thinking 6 months+, you could possibly rent a home, but you'll have a hard time finding someone who would accept a lease shorter than 12 months. 

Do you have family who will be traveling with you? Kids? That would affect where you may want to settle in until you know where you'll be going permanently.  If there are kids involved and if they are school age, then you'd want to consider that too when choosing a temporary home. 

Are you looking for a job in the city or are you looking at rural?  What sort of employment are you after?

Your best bet to get from the airport would be either a taxi or uber - I found uber to be more reliable and also cheaper, but the taxis are safe although you may end up with someone who have no clue where they're going and struggle to string a sentence together in English. It is best to have your hotel details ready on a card and even printing out a screenshot of the google maps route from the airport to the hotel have helped me previously getting there while the driver was totally lost...  An uber to the city from the airport would cost you about $30 (an SUV - if you're a large or have heaps of luggage will be about $90).  If you're arriving in peak traffic, it would be more.  The train departs from right inside the terminal and  is a cheap and easy option but if you're traveling with small kids, strollers plus luggage etc, it may be a challenge. 

If you give me a bit more detail about your plans and your family, I can make a few suggestions.

I see now you have a little girl - how old is she?

With airbnb you'll pay anything from $60 and up (average around $100 per night in the city) - depending on the age of your daughter, you may need a cot which not all airbnb's can provide, so you'll have to check.  The only downside to airbnb is that you could not necessarily extend your accommodation if you need to as it may be booked, whereas in a hotel, they'd generally be able to do that, even if they have to move you to another room (most hotels also provide cots on request).  The other benefit of a hotel is that the concierge could assist with arranging transport, provide maps, help out with where to find stuff etc whereas in an airbnb you're on your own unless you're actually sharing the house with a family who lives there and who would be willing to answer your questions.  The upside of airbnb is the price, as a very basic small hotel room in the city for 2 people will cost about $150.   Accommodation costs in Sydney sky-rocket during special events and are higher during high season - when are you arriving?

• 3 weeks later...

@Riekie sorry for only replying now.... thank you so much for the information.

We are still applying for our Visa's so just getting general information for now as it is all so overwhelming and a bit terrifying...

Don't think we would fly over in peak Season would be between Jan- October just depending on when our Visas are approved and our house is sold.

My daughter is 18 months now so by the time everything is approved and booked she will be 2  and a half almost 3

My Husband is getting his Trade transferred to the Australian one so we will be coming over on his Electrician Trade, we are looking at Rural as here in SA we live in a small town so don't want to be too overwhelmed with the fast pace of a City although we don't know if it would be anything like the cities here.

We are going through a agency- New World Immigration and they have assured us that once our Visa's have been approved they will send my Husbands CV to recruiters so he can find work asap. Once we are settled and have found a good school for my daughter I will start looking for a Job as I am more Admin orientated.

We are hoping to locate to New South Wales as it looks so lovely there but will see what we can find, our main priority is getting a place to stay and jobs so that we can get our daughter settled and in a routine and so that we can start adjusting and getting used to our new life :) 

Thank you so much for the advise on the accommodation, we will definitely book in somewhere for at least 3 Days before venturing onto the roads and trying to find our way :)    

Thank you again for your advise it is greatly appreciated

• 4 weeks later...

With your husband's trade, he won't have issues finding rural employment.  Skills like his are sought after in smaller towns. Some rural towns would even pay you to settle there! 

Here's just a few electrician jobs: (Cities and rural combined - once you know where you would like to go, you could seach under that town/region): https://www.seek.com.au/jobs-in-trades-services/electricians

These people help electricians find jobs: http://www.inselec.com.au/

If you find a rural town you like, their council website usually would have a section for job seekers or for people wanting to relocate there.

A website on rural towns in NSW: http://www.countrychange.com.au/

In this wonderful country, the government will even provide assistance if you have to relocate for a job: https://www.employment.gov.au/relocation-assistance-take-job