Change of circumstances for new passport before or after activation?

vitchie

Question

Our visas were granted in May but are not activated yet.

I applied for new passports for the kids are their passports will expire soon in 2018 and we didn't feel like having the worry of renewal in Australia.

We got the new passports now. Should I do a change of circumstances form so that the visa is updated to the new passport number before we active it and enter Australia on the new passport or should we first enter on the old passport and the change the passport number afterwards?

7 answers to this question

As far as I know, once you apply for new passports , your old passports become null and void even if they havent expired yet.  You cant have 2 valid passports for the same country, so best to change your passport numbers to the new ones now for your visa. It is not a big deal - I did mine myself on my immi account.

• Like 1

Thanks, I submitted the form 929's this morning. Better be safe than sorry.

As far as I know South Africa does allow you to have 2 passports at a time. My husband has 2 current ones that he uses because he travels quite a bit for work and has his various visas in two different passports.

Hi @vitchie

Which email address did you submit your form929's too? My agent gave me a different email address than what was on the visa grant letter. Also when do you know that the details have been updated.

I have also renewed both mine and kids passports as I had the same thought as you that it would be easier in South Africa than in Australia. I see you are on "min dae" now. How is the last minute planning and packing going?

@JackoFam I emailed immigration.pretoria@dfat.gov.au . They replied when they were done, but you can also check the Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) on the border.gov.au website to check against the new passport number.

The last minute planning is going ok for now, just have to go and hand the car over to the dealership on Monday and complete the house inventory for the shipping company/insurance. 

5 hours ago, JackoFam said:

Thanks. That's also the email address I used.

I am dreading doing the house inventory bit

Don't worry, I am looking for things to do so that I have an excuse not to do the inventory bit, lol

• Like 1