Introduction and our journey to date

MichKen

I have been part of this forum for some time now, and have been a bit of a lurker all along.  You see, I was not confident that this thing was going to go anywhere, but now it seems it might, the Good LORD willing, of course!

I turned 44 in December last year and at that time I had no intention of ever leaving this beautiful country, this is our home and the home of my ancestors for at least that past 300 years.  Somehow though, in early January, the seed was planted (as it has been many times in the past) but this time it took some serious roots.

Somehow, we have been given this deep need to leave, perhaps emanating from Divine hands, but also partly fueled by the constant socio-political dramas that play out around us.  Mostly, I am motivated by the fact that i feel we have become increasingly jaded and accustomed / complacent to things that are just not right!  I feel like we as a People are no longer shocked by the extreme violence or by the blatant corruption and I don't want to live like that, I actually want these types of things to horrify me.  I am also further motivated by the fact that our children, who are on the cusp of adulthood, are potentially not going to have any decent opportunities for education and to reach their God-given potential, if we do stay.

So began the search for a new homeland; it started in Canada, then Ireland, New Zealand.... but we were almost led to look at Oz, and suddenly it was all I could think about.  So, with a very small window of opportunity, we started on this difficult road, which has so many difficult obstacles on it.  I appointed an Agency, after researching them on here and found they were highly credible and had a strong track record.  I have not been sorry about that, not for one moment! They have been a tremendous help!

I can say, with all certainty, that at each juncture I have felt like giving up!
I had to get a positive Skills Assessment through AIM as an HR Manager- which is notoriously difficult!  I was convinced it was not going to happen but after 12 long weeks, I finally got that email- Positive Skills Assessment received!!! I was shocked to say the least, but of course elated and convinced we were on our way.

Then came the English test nightmare.  Once the Skills Assessment was lodged I tried the PTE, got W-90, L-90, R-86, Speaking - 45 ??? for my home language! and so it went test after test after test, at one point only mustering up a meager 36.  To put this score into context, it says I can BARELY string a sentence together in English, which if you are reading this I'm sure you can tell is not the case.

In the end, out of desperation, I decided to give the IELTS a try as a last ditch attempt (I had heard it was much more difficult). All I can say in hindsight is I wish I had done that first!!! It's much more straightforward and to me a better test of ones English ability.  Speaking to a computer for me is the most unnatural thing and perhaps this is why I have struggled with this part.  First try with IELTS S-9.0, R-8.5, L-9.0.... but now writing - 7.5! And I am officially out of time and can't rewrite or wait for a remark! Six tests and more than R15k later, I can confirm that I have missed the 190 visa requirements by a 0.5 on writing! Being the "analysis-paralysis" type A personality I am, I know exactly where I went wrong on the writing section, but can't fix it now! The proverbial horse has truly bolted.

The thought of giving up was once again met with the strong desire to go!  But, here's the rub - I have to get my ITA before I turn 45 or we will no longer qualify.  Couple of months ago my agent suggested we could try a 489 visa, which we immediately dismissed outright.  So with the knowledge that I would be done-for if I got even one 7.5, I was pressed into looking at this option while I waited for my IELTS results.  I'm so glad I did! It is actually a very good alternative, not ideal like the 190 would have been, but still good enough.

Thankfully, we are now lodging our EOI finally and we should make the window, if all goes well - which btw is one thing I have learned through this experience, nothing is as easy as it sounds in migration matters. IF all goes well, we could / should have our ITA by December and be able to lodge visa applications by then too and just in time!  That means we will hopefully, GOD-WILLING!  have our Visas granted by latest April 2017!

So, I am here now introducing ourselves to all you good people who are in the same boat as us and offering to share any experiences about our rocky road so far that you may feel you could benefit from.
(P.S. ....interesting turn of phrase, given that many of our ancestors were probably literally on the same boats coming to Africa all those years ago...!)

• Like 8

I wish you everything of the best for your journey. May the Lord bless and guide you all the way!

Edited by Mara
  • Like 1

@MichKen

From a fellow 44 year old, wishing you well on the next steps. All is possible. 

• Like 1

Reading your story is like reliving our own roller coaster, not with the English but with my skills assessment, it took 10 months and what felt like an an incredible amount of work to get a positive result, which we received only last week! I am so happy to hear that you have found a path... good luck with the rest

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck !

Your story is so enlightening :). gives us so much hope! We also trying for the 190 visa but need an 8 in Ielts to attain it. Alternatively the 489 is on the table but I am concerned as apparently you not entitled to health and educational benefits.

Hi @Anusha, that is true, but my research into that has shown that it can be affordable to take out Health insurance- in fact it seems to be cheaper than in SA, especially if you are earning AUD$.  And it's only two years of "pain" and it is sorted once you move to PR! Worth it if you run out of options. I do feel 190 is ideal, but this is not a bad alternative at all.

all the best in your journey ?

• Like 1

Any ideas what the cost of health is for 2 adults, 2 kids..

And govern school fees ? Will we avail to get at concession fees?

From what I can tell a family of 4 is about $500 a month, and it seems this is the top plan at Medibank. Have a look around their website at their different options.  You can stay on your SA medical aid for 90 days (Discovery), this I asked about today.

i have read a lot about school fees and it seems to depend on a great deal of variables.  I have read that some states gives 489 visa holders similar benefits to the PR folk, but I have also read as much as $12000 per year. It seems to depend on the state and the school chosen.  I suggest writing to a few to get some indication.

Edited by MichKen
  • Like 1