One year in, better than expected!!

vanSchoorFamily

Wow @vanSchoorFamily

What an inspirational story. Thank you for sharing. Amazing that your husband found a job so quickly.

• Like 1

:yourock:

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing that encouraging story :cowboy: I keep telling myself cowboys don't cry 

• Like 3

@Queque that is the first time I have heard that saying....in a long time. Our ex business partner in RSA used to use it, but it was "cowboys don't cry, especially not in front of their horses"!

I was attracted by the Queque, I went to high school in Que Que in the old Rhodesia!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Mara said:

I was attracted by the Queque, I went to high school in Que Que in the old Rhodesia!

The name Queque caught my eye as well....that's my home town, born and bred.....but it's now spelt Kwekwe. 

• Like 2

I love your story and this has made me realise that even though we have had ups and downs, that your journey was so heartbreaking as you lost all that money :( 

But as they say money is immaterial and can be made again and you still persevered to get the future you wanted for your family :)

We are awaiting our 190 Grant for NSW and pray that we haven't made any mistakes as we had an agent, wasted R13k and then decided to go forward from there on our own :blink:

God is good and his timing is probably the biggest thing in what we cant seem to understand but when i read your story i think that you were meant to be in Tamworth so thank you again for sharing and all the best going forward :D

On 10/20/2016 at 1:22 PM, vanSchoorFamily said:

Well, we have made out 1year mark...

It hasn't been an easy journey for us. We decided on Moving to Oz 1 Aug 2014 while sitting in a hospital (nothing serious). We decided on doing everything ourselves as we didn't want to spend R35 000  on an agent (after investigating on this forum). Well, everything went well until we submitted out Visa application for 190 VIC bound...in March 2015. After waiting days in and days out for our response, we were woken up one morning at 03:30 am with a confirmation letter that it was DECLINED!! We were heartbroken, only to find out that it was due to a points discrepancy (we needed 10 more points #misunderstanding). We lost R70 000!

We tried everything to try and get a refund to no avail. We sat day in and day out trying to come up with plan B. Well...We then decided on a 489 Visa after a lot of thought, using the last money at that point...we were extremely nervous as we had no idea what to expect only to have a limited place to go to. It was the longest 6 weeks of our lives.

We have received out VISAS !!!!! We had to land some where in Northern Inland ... We decided on Tamworth NSW as it looked most appealing. Hubby decided on going by himself and we would follow in December once the kids finished their school term or when he landed a job.

Hubby arrived Tuesday 15 Sep 2015, paid $35 for a taxi from the airport to his accommodation 20:45pm at night, which we thought was extremely expensive as he was paying in Rands (R350). He arrived at a 1 week booked out accommodation in hoping to find something within that week...Wednesday 16 Sep 2015 hubby starting walking around trying to find out what was going on in this town. After walking nearly 35km's around town pooped, he ended his evening.

Thursday 17 Sep 2015 he felt really down and rang me. He said that if he didn't find a job within that week, he was coming home. He decided to rent a car through Thrifty's to "better" explore...1hr and 2 stops later, hubby landed his 1st full time job!!!! Praise the Lord!!

We were stoked. He met some mates and they accommodated him for a week before moving into our first rental. The rest of us decided to leave 14 Oct 2015. He moved into our 1st rental with no furniture. We sold everything and decided to only bring our sentimental and personals (we only sent a Large moving cube). He borrowed a bed and a small TV and slowly but surely bought some household items before we arrived.

Thursday 15 October we landed. Friday 16 October we bought our 1st car brand new off the floor (never done in SA). We went hunting for furniture, which was not easy. Manage to find a love for Fantastic furniture and bought everything we needed. 3 Months went by and I could not stay at home any longer. Things were a bit more expensive that what we initially realised.  I started looking for work and one month later, 29 Feb 2016 I landed a full time job.  Hubby found and started his 2nd full time job.

It is now October 2016 and we have not been happier...we have moved into a great new home, kids are extremely well settled. We have made heaps of friends, we have managed to travel to the coast a million times and have been living life to the fullest!

WE LOVE TAMWORTH and loving life in Australia !!! 

It was not easy and we miss our family, but we would not change anything in the world!!!

Doesn't matter how hard it is or how difficult it looks ... Australia is every cent and every tear and every heartache worth!!!

Good luck to everyone still trying to migrate! God is good and will look after you, just believe!

Blessings!

Hi the vanSchoorFamily,

It was really nice coming accross your post, and so coincidental too. We will be arriving in Tamworth in the first week of December 2016 to start our life in Aus, also on a 489 visa. Our path to Tamworth may have been a bit different but that does not matter at all, it is just so nice to know that you are enjoying the town and are on your feet. We are a South African family but have been living in the Middle East as I have been working here for sometime.

We managed to visit Australia in August this year which included a 5 day trip to Tamworth, which we really enjoyed. We also met up with a few South Africans but in general enjoyed the atmosphere of the town, and found the locals helpfull and friendly. It would also be great to meet up with you guys. We are a family of 4, my son is 14 and daughter is 7.

In the meantime it would also be nice to correspond if that is fine with you. We have been contemplating where to live in Tamworth, considering that enrolment to certain schools relate to encatchment areas, etc. We were considering East or North Tamworth but would love your opinions on these issues.

Let me know if we can correspond and I can send you a message.

All the best

Edited by TakeItOnTheChin

16 hours ago, TakeItOnTheChin said:

Hi the vanSchoorFamily,

It was really nice coming accross your post, and so coincidental too. We will be arriving in Tamworth in the first week of December 2016 to start our life in Aus, also on a 489 visa. Our path to Tamworth may have been a bit different but that does not matter at all, it is just so nice to know that you are enjoying the town and are on your feet. We are a South African family but have been living in the Middle East as I have been working here for sometime.

We managed to visit Australia in August this year which included a 5 day trip to Tamworth, which we really enjoyed. We also met up with a few South Africans but in general enjoyed the atmosphere of the town, and found the locals helpfull and friendly. It would also be great to meet up with you guys. We are a family of 4, my son is 14 and daughter is 7.

In the meantime it would also be nice to correspond if that is fine with you. We have been contemplating where to live in Tamworth, considering that enrolment to certain schools relate to encatchment areas, etc. We were considering East or North Tamworth but would love your opinions on these issues.

Let me know if we can correspond and I can send you a message.

All the best

That is great! All the best to you and your family.

Don't mind at all, my email is gvanschoor@hotmail.com if you would like to get in touch !