Converting SA drivers licence to Vic licence

Odendaal

Hi all...this may be a rant so sorry in advance hehe. I'll call Vic roads customer care to hopefully sort this out.

I called vic roads to convert my license and paid the $17-odd charge for the appointment to convert. I go to the licence center with all the documents they said they needed (licence application form, 3 forms of identity and proof of residence). The guy noticed that my SA driver's licence has my maiden surname and my passport has my new surname (you can see where this is going...) - I didn't really think this would be a problem when I compiled my documents but he said he would need proof of the name change. So I said that I would bring my marriage certificate but then he said that that would not suffice - I would need a name change certificate from the "deaths births and marriages" place. A bit bumbed - I go to this DBM place down the road to apply for this certificate only to be told that if I was not born in Vic, I need to have lived here for at least 12 months to apply for a name change certificate. So now I would have to wait another 5 months to convert my licence and be able to drive again? My 6 months grace period driving on my SA licence is long gone. My thinking is that if Immigration is OK with certified marriage certificate - shouldn't vic roads accept this too? 

Has anyone been in or heard of this situation before?

Yes, definitely call them. This sounds like a case where the guy who said the marriage cert is not good enough, probably knows nothing about people born outside Australia. So perhaps when you call they will tell you something else, and you can get it sorted sooner. Also, see if you can avoid paying the $17 again, I certainly would.

Good luck with that!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi @Spazmaz, sorry for not seeing this earlier! Not sure how I missed it...

Yes so I ended up calling the call center and they insisted that my marriage cert will be good enough. They even put me on hold to speak to that specific Vic Roads branch and arranged a time for me to go back to get it converted. I went back and they converted it with an apologetic smile :) Oh and they didn't ask me to pay $17 dollars again :)

I realise now that I shouldn't have gotten so panicky about it. 

Mel. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Odendaal.

Compliments of the season to you all.

Pardon my ignorance, is the conversion just a paper trail or is the a practical test too?

Garreth

• 2 weeks later...

@Gaza82

Paper.

As long as you have all the required documents and fee money you can easily get it if dealing with a competent official.