iPhone & Data Plans in South Africa (For Parents)

Riekie

We're thinking of getting our parents an iPhone with a good data plan so we can stay in contact.  Currently they're on Email when their PC works... and it is so frustrating not to be able to whatsapp & skype & sms photos (their mobile phone is so ancient, it cannot send or receive photos!) Sadly they havent kept up with technology and now we're sitting in a situation where it's either paper letters (which go missing or arrive 9 months later) or unreliable Email on a dinosaur PC.  

Does anyone know what an iPhone goes for in South Africa at the moment and what good, affordable data plans are available? Or even prepay?  Any info or a link would be helpful please.   

Thanks! 

I would recommend going with Cell C, maybe something like a SmartChat 3GB topup package.  I find they have the best balance of price and the amount of data you get.

I was very sceptical of Cell C when I moved over at the beginning of the year but I haven't had a single issue.  Reception is very good in most places.

Edited by ChrisH
added a link

I can't vouch for any particular brand, but for the sake of options, you can also look at MTN and Vodacom, in addition to Cell C mentioned above.

Thanks Guys!  Any idea on what an iPhone is selling for now in RSA? 

Thanks, that's awesome!