Visa Granted - Must Main Applicant Enter First

Junglejet

Question

Our 189 visa was granted this week with my wife as Main Applicant.  I may need to go to Australia later this month for work. Can I enter Australia before she goes? Thus this effectively becomes my visa validation trip. Appreciate some clarity on this. Thank you.

10 answers to this question

The main applicant must enter first condition is not often placed on permanent residence 189 visas at the moment. 

Check if it is included as one of the conditions on you visa - if it is it will be listed. 

• Like 2

To my knowledge the main applicant has to either enter first or together with the dependants.  I do not think that you can enter first. If I am wrong I am sure someone will correct me.

Thanks @Mara

I'm interested as well to see if anyone else is aware, as I started searching afterwards this morning and seems that it may well be fine. Looks like it used to be that Main Applicant had to enter first but that seems to have since changed. See this link. http://www.expatforum.com/expats/australia-expat-forum-expats-living-australia/730362-can-dependent-google-page-ranking-holder-travel-first-before-main-applicant.html

If you want a definitive answer, than send a PM to either @SD_MOA or @TeeTMI who are both qualified migration agents and come highly recommended. They will give you the answer that you are looking for. The last thing you want is to arrive and find that it is not possible.

You are most welcome.

I see that TeeTMI had already answered you above, so check her answer again, then check your visa grant for the answer.

I can confirm from experience that the main applicant does not have to enter first for a 189 visa. My fiancee was the secondary applicant and she entered first in Feb this year and i followed in May. We contacted DIBP by phone beforehand and they confirmed this was not disallowed. I suggest you do that and get it from the horse's  mouth

Check your visa grant conditions and if there arent any then i believe its all in order ;) 

On 10/17/2016 at 9:23 PM, Mara said:

I see that TeeTMI had already answered you above, so check her answer again, then check your visa grant for the answer.

I up-voted her reply, so it jumps the queue. :D 

• Like 1