Schools in Melbourne eastern & bayside suburbs

JackoFam

I am really battling with compiling a short list of schools for my daughter (she will start Year 8 in January)

We cannot afford the top tier private school fees so am looking at various State schools but keep getting conflicting info from my different source.

If anyone has any recommendations for high schools (state/mid-tier private/catholic) in the east of Melbourne please let me know. My husbands Job is in Nottinghill so our preferred areas are North east or Bayside (I think we would prefer Bayside but cant be certain until we are actually there) and have quite a large budget for weekly rental (I am very aware of rents in the areas as I have been stalking realestate.com.au for months) . At this stage its all a trade-off between the right school and the commute for my husband.

Another hassle we have is that we are planning on arriving on 3rd of January and my husband starts work on 15th so that only gives us 3.5 weeks to find a rental and school before the school year starts - a daunting prospect to say the least.

Any inputs/opinions would be welcome

@JackoFam Just saw this thread, so do ignore my question in the other thread. Sorry I cannot be of assistance here.

• Like 1

Thanks @Mara It appears we will be settling on the complete opposite end of Melbourne to where you are. We are now looking much further south east as rentals are considerably cheaper and life seems a bit more relaxed. We are fortunate that my husband wont have to commute into the city. Schools and a job for me are still a mystery though.

• Like 1

All I will say about that general area is to stay out of Springvale. It's so Asian you won't be able to read half the store fronts, and you won't understand half the people on the street. And I've also read that Dandenong, the suburb, is not a good place to go. (or were you guys the ones looking at the Belgrave area on account of having seen it already and liking it? I know someone said that....)

• Like 2

Thanks @RedPanda I think we might end up even further east, possibly Skye. But can't be sure until we are on the ground so to speak. 

On on a happy note we paid for our tickets today. We are arriving in Melbourne on 4 January. Getting so real now.

• Like 2

@RedPanda...Iv been offered a job in Dandenong. I have also been informed its not the best suburbb to live in. I am moving with a 7 year old whom i would like to enroll in a school and still looking for a good suburb  which will allow me to get to my child before 6pm(afterschool care closing time). Anyone please advise which suburb I can look into,

Thanks

9 hours ago, Kekee said:

@RedPanda...Iv been offered a job in Dandenong. I have also been informed its not the best suburbb to live in. I am moving with a 7 year old whom i would like to enroll in a school and still looking for a good suburb  which will allow me to get to my child before 6pm(afterschool care closing time). Anyone please advise which suburb I can look into,

Thanks

I'll leave this one for the forumites who have little ones to answer. I can only comment in general, since we didn't really factor in schools.
So just wait for the next answer to pop up! Somebody will know :) (all the good school areas are also the expensive ones, so we didn't really look at them)

I think you could be ok to work in Dandenong, if you live elsewhere and commute to work. There are many Eastern suburbs that are really nice, and that wouldn't be very far from work. (If you ask most people they will tell you that the East is where it's at B) ) Nah, there are good places north as well, I just mean that you will have the whole range of suburbs from which to choose if your work is in the east/bayside.

...so....crick-crick....  ... :mellow:      ...Just be patient, you'll get a better answer ;) 

• Like 1

We've been living in Wheelers Hill for a few years so given that your husband will be working in Notting Hill, I'd probably consider looking at areas such as Mount Waverley, Vermont South, Wantirna South and Belgrave Heights as well as areas surrounding those.

Edited by IslandStyle

JackoFam, if you're looking at the Skye area, I would recommend Sandhurst - we have friends who stay there and love it.  I can't really comment on schools in the area though.  

We live in Edithvale, and any area along the Frankston train line from Caulfield to Seaford is good areas with lots of options for good schools.  If you want to look at the Frankston area keep to Frankston South or Mt Eliza.

I am not too familiar with the inner East suburbs...

Good luck with your search!

Thanks @IslandStyle one of my husbands colleagues has recommended Mount Waverly so we will definitely put that on the list - the high school there also look good.

@SuzanneT a friend of a friend from Skye explained the difference between Frankston and Frankston South and if we choose the area we will definitely be sticking too the latter.

Both my husband and I are uber planners and we would prefer to choose an area to focus on before we go to make our landing easier. But realistically I know it will be better for us to experience the areas/traffic/schools first hand before we make a decision. But the forum and other contacts we have made have allowed us to narrow down the areas to two major categories

1. Very little commuting and good schools - Mount/Glen Waverly and perhaps Brentwood??

2. Longer commute Bayside - Frankston South or Mount Eliza

Both options have their pros and cons. We really love the idea of living near the beach so that's why there is an option 2.

@RedPanda where did you guys settle?

• Like 1

We're in Tecoma. It's too small for its own postcode, so it shares with Belgrave. We don't have kids yet, so we didn't need to worry about schools.
Our selection criteria was literally: Where are the trees big? Can we afford that? Can we find work from there? Yes. Yes. Yes. - Fantastic, let's go there!

So in summary, that's what we did.

• Like 1

Hi there, 

We are also in the process of moving over to Melbourne. Our flights are booked for the 30th November and we have made the decision to settle in Sandhurst which is all very close to the areas that you are mentioning. Have a look at the area online - it looks amazing! And so amazing from a lifestyle perspective. 

I have 2 girls, aged 5 and 6 and I have already secured them a place in Flinders College which is in Carrum Downs. The school has come highly recommended by quite a few people that we know in the area. And the interaction that I have had with them has been very impressive so far. 

I am going to be working in Clayton, and it looks like it will only be a 20min drive away, so I am happy with that. Considering the amount of traffic that I sit in in JHB. 

Congrats on booking your flights and I hope to catch up with you on that side.

Take care, 

Leanne