LSD Trip

LinziC

Hi All,

In order to do a LSD trip +/- how many days do you recommend we should spend in each city to a good feel? We are a family of three - little toddler who will be two at the time of traveling. We plan on visiting Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane & Canberra.

My suggestion to try and select a few suburbs in each city, where you think you may be living. Plan to spend time in each of those suburbs - go to the supermarket, visit the parks, stop for coffee. If you are likely to be working in the city centre, plan to visit there as well - suggest spending some time using the public transport system as well. All of this will serve to give you a feel of what your lives may be like.

It would be nice to schedule something fun in each city as well - give you some happy memories. Not that the rest isn't happy, but it can be quite draining, To include travelling time in between cities, plus rest stops for a toddler, you are looking at a minimum of two nights/three days in each centre.

This is based on what worked for us, others may have a different perspective on how best to approach this. You don't mention time of year - do check weather and make sure you have warm coats packed if you are hitting Melbourne and Sydney otherwise you won't be taking in much.

I'm not that sure that LSD trips are all that necessary, and they are really expensive. We came to Perth initially then moved to Melbourne then now we are back in Perth. Main thing is go where you are likely to find work. We never did a LSD but we had been on holiday to both Sydney and Perth so we kind of had an idea if we wanted to live there. We had never been to Melbourne before but that's where the job offer came from so we went. Its alot of travelling around to visit 4 cities. I think other people that have done simular trips spent 4-5 days. If your organised and can get around then check out the suburbs that you may be interested in and go from there.

All the best ?

• 1 month later...

I think 4-6 sounds about right, depending on how much time and money you have to make the trip. And I would also prioritise according to job listings. So we spent about 10 days in Melbourne on LSD, compared to one day in Canberra, because we knew we wanted to come to Melbourne. We didn't even look at Perth because it was too much time and travel fees and we didn't want to live there either.

I think if you can afford it, and if you have the option of settling in one of several cities, then by all means, do an LSD trip: Look at the places, See what's up first hand, and Decide where to focus your relocation. Certainly for us knowing where we were going, and being somewhat familiar with the area helped a lot during our relocation process. And it also helped mentally prepare for the move, because while we were in RSA tying things up we could day dream about Australia, and our city, and our suburb...and favourite noodle shop....basically, we had a clear picture to think about, so it didn't feel so scary.

So yes, prioritise, plan and then go for it! :ilikeit:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

If you're going to do a LSD, I'd say make it worth it and allow minimum 3 full days per city (not counting arrival and departure days as that is almost a day in itself each time). Many have come without a LSD, so it is not essential to do one if money is a factor.  For some people the LSD was a shock (not what they expected) and resulted in 2nd thoughts, adding to the stress of relocating.  Sometimes it is better to just dive in the deep end and roll with the punches.

• Like 2