Sleep Medication for 18mo old

MonTage

Hi All,

what can we we try to get our little one to sleep during the flight over to Perth? We have been trying Vallergan Forte, and it just seems to get him through the night, but he still wakes up. He's probably sleeping a little better, but not knocking him out. He currently sleeps from 7:30pm till about 2 or 4am.

we where hoping it would knock him out, but this is not the case. Any ideas? Things you have tried etc. 

thanks

MonTage, one of the problems with these meds is that they can sometimes have the opposite effect and instead of sleeping angel, you have a hyper maniac.

If you want to use something, I wouldn't suggest a bit of panodo. You are going to be completely out of time zone anyway, so my suggestion would be to stock up on formula (if appropriate), snacks, toys to fiddle with, cheap crayons (because they are going to roll under seats and disappear), flash cards, story books, etc.

If he does watch a TV show, some episodes on an iPad can be a lifesaver. Pack a soft shawl or pashmina.

Finally, cut yourself some slack. If he sleeps, he sleeps. If he is hungry, feed him. If he is thirsty, give him something to drink. Make sure you take turns as much as possible and ensure that you also are well fed and watered.

I have travelled so often, with babies, toddlers and all the way up to teenagers - the most irritating passengers are usually unaccompanied adults. In all my years, no fellow passenger has ever objected to either of my little angels. If anyone does, I suggest you invite them to take a walk outside while you calm the child down.

Best of luck.

• Like 1

Montage we also thought about getting something for our then 18 month old son for our Perth flight so we went to the paediatrician. I cannot remember the name of the medication. At the Joburg airport I put my son into his pyjamas and gave him the meds and he threw up all over the place!!. Luckily I always carry extra clothes so changed him. When we got on the flight I just gave him his milk and he slept all the way through.

My advise don't give him anything, these sort if meds can have the reverse effect and make kids hyper. Its a very late night flight from Joburg to Perth. By the time you get on the plane your little one will be tired anyway. Bring his favourite blanket, get him in his his pyjamas and do your normal routine but just on a plane with him.

And don't panic. Things will be absolutely fine. My son always sleeps all the way through on a night flight. You won't be the only mother with kids on the plane. ? Relax and breathe