Brisbane humidity's effect on paper products

WayneAndMel

This will sound like an odd question but how have those of you in Brisbane found the humidity affects paper products and bank notes?

I ask because the two of us collect rare stamps and bank notes. I (Wayne) am already selling off parts of my stamp collection but we were under the impression that the bank notes we collect would be OK.

A relative has said this is not the case. 

See if you can google for bank note and stamp collector clubs in Brisbane.  They will surely know.  Us mere mortals, not so much. 

12 hours ago, WayneAndMel said:

My apologies @rozellem. I meant no offence, nor to create any impression of being high and mighty by asking.

No, then it must have been my reply that sounded wrong!  Sorry for the confusion, I did not intend to sound off. Sometimes the delivery gets lost when writing. 

I just meant that although the formites on here know a lot of stuff about a lot of stuff, the relatively specific info you are looking for are probably above our knowledge base.  You are better off finding people with this specific interest to answer you.  I am sure there are many people in Aus and Brisbane who have the same hobby, I bet they have an online presence (stamp forums, bank note collectors society?) and would be happy to advise you.  You dont want to make a mistake with valuables like that.  I can only speak about Sydney and it is very mouldy for some reason and would often take its toll on things like leather shoes/jackets, so you are rightly concerned about your notes.  Hope you find the answers. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks @rozellem

Sometimes subtle observations by the lay person actually holds good value over the big collector much like street smarts can outdo rocket science in every day things.

There are stamp and banknote collector outlets in Brisbane but not the web presence or societies of Melbourne or Sydney. In any event I had already started to sell off large chunks of my collection that hold value. I'll hold onto the cheapies and some that are highly sentimental.

To any other similar collectors immigrating to Oz that might come across this thread in future: there are methods of using wax paper envelopes and cigar boxes with climate control rooms but is logistically difficult at times. It however appears that banknotes that are placed within airtight and sealed plastic envelopes by the NGC or SANGS when they perform certifications then just need to be protected from temperature and being accidentally bent.

• 1 month later...

Ok, so I came to this one late... But my first reaction was: Just isolate them from the environment, and if they are that valuable either put them in a special place of holding like a centrally owned vault, or just make an appropriate place for them at your home ie climate controlled space. It doesn't need to be a whole room, but if it's not, you might have difficulty viewing your collection, if that is part of your reason for owning it. There must be youtube videos on how to take care of valuable paper items in humid climates, from just about all levels of collectors and DIYers. ;) 

Hope it's not too late!

• Like 1