Starting my 189

Zaprime

Hi,

I'm starting to gather the parts up for my 189 application as an electronics engineer. I decided just to make one thread for my questions along the way. 

I'm currently applying for the IELTS: it gives the option to send my results to other institutions. Do I need to tick yes or no for this? 

"If you would like your results sent to specific academic institutions, government agencies, professional bodies or employers, please indicate this below.

Results may be sent either electronically or by post to these institutions. The centre may charge a postal fee for results sent internationally or by courier. The Test Report Form will NOT be sent to migration or education agents. Please note that institutions and organisations you specify may access your results before you receive them by post. If you select 'Yes', you will be able to specify up to 5 institutions on the next screen."

Thanks

Can anyone advise who i'll need to send my results to if I tick yes?

Try asking again in this thread. ( I just linked the last post at the time of reading, so it will spit you out near the end) People don't mind if you ask a tangent question, just don't completely hijack a thread. ;) 

• Like 1

I have not written IELTS, so not sure. On the PTE you click on the registering page that you give permission for them to share your results with DIBP, which happens automatically. You then can log an "order" for it to be send to (I think) 5 other institutions, which I used to "order" for skills assessment.

If I risk a guess I would tick "yes" so that you can send it to your assessment authority ?? I would want to see my results before sending it though...

Also with PTE only results sent directly from them are valid, don't know about IELTS.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedPanda said:

Try asking again in this thread. ( I just linked the last post at the time of reading, so it will spit you out near the end) People don't mind if you ask a tangent question, just don't completely hijack a thread. ;) 

Thanks, will do. :) Do you remember how or where you found out what to do in this regard? 

40 minutes ago, wonderer said:

I have not written IELTS, so not sure. On the PTE you click on the registering page that you give permission for them to share your results with DIBP, which happens automatically. You then can log an "order" for it to be send to (I think) 5 other institutions, which I used to "order" for skills assessment.

If I risk a guess I would tick "yes" so that you can send it to your assessment authority ?? I would want to see my results before sending it though...

Also with PTE only results sent directly from them are valid, don't know about IELTS.

They give me 5 organisations I can send it to but EA isn't there and I wasn't sure if I had to send it to DIBP. 

Nope, sorry, can't remember, that's why it's important for the forum to keep a wave of fresh applicants flowing through at all times ;) 

• Like 1

So sorry I can't be of any help, I had a different assessment authority. (and different eng test :unsure:) Hope you get it sorted, can imagine your frustration!  

• Like 1

@Zaprime, I expect that the option of having IELTS directly forward your test results to the skill assessment organisation is not appropriate.

Did you mention that you are being assessed by Engineers Australia?  According to page 13 of the MSA Applicants User’s Guide, either you or your agent will be required to upload the test result form.  Although I lack experienced knowledge in this, it seems to me that it should not be forwarded directly by IELTS to EA.  The experience I do have is with two other skills assessment organisations.  One of these did not require evidence of English proficiency, and the other required the applicant to provide the document.  EA seems to do the same.

• Like 1

On 14/10/2016 at 1:03 AM, Kevin said:

@Zaprime, I expect that the option of having IELTS directly forward your test results to the skill assessment organisation is not appropriate.

Did you mention that you are being assessed by Engineers Australia?  According to page 13 of the MSA Applicants User’s Guide, either you or your agent will be required to upload the test result form.  Although I lack experienced knowledge in this, it seems to me that it should not be forwarded directly by IELTS to EA.  The experience I do have is with two other skills assessment organisations.  One of these did not require evidence of English proficiency, and the other required the applicant to provide the document.  EA seems to do the same.

Thanks. I think i might have been looking in the wrong place or book then. I'll leave them off and send it to them through the MSA on the EA website

One more question, Do I need to select the DIBP as a recipient? 

Hi @Zaprime

My husband is also an engineer. He did select DIBP as a recipient on the IELTS forms. When he submitted his Engineers Australia application, we just attached a copy of his test results. All positive. EA are incredibly efficient .... Typical engineers ;)

• Like 3

@Zaprime, I expect that @Husky has provided the info you were looking for.  I will just add that if you complete IELTS without having the British Council directly forward the results to DIBP, then you can still link your IELTS test to your 189 visa application.  I have recently done this and all that is required is that you enter the test report form number.  SkillSelect will automatically obtain your test scores through an electronic interface.  So whatever you choose, I think you will be fine.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2016 at 10:19 PM, Husky said:

Hi @Zaprime

My husband is also an engineer. He did select DIBP as a recipient on the IELTS forms. When he submitted his Engineers Australia application, we just attached a copy of his test results. All positive. EA are incredibly efficient .... Typical engineers ;)

Thanks. I think that was the clarity I was looking for. Going to go ahead and do my booking :) 

30 minutes ago, Kevin said:

@Zaprime, I expect that @Husky has provided the info you were looking for.  I will just add that if you complete IELTS without having the British Council directly forward the results to DIBP, then you can still link your IELTS test to your 189 visa application.  I have recently done this and all that is required is that you enter the test report form number.  SkillSelect will automatically obtain your test scores through an electronic interface.  So whatever you choose, I think you will be fine.

Yes, @Husky has. But that is good info to have as well. I wasn't sure if one would be able to do that.

Thank you everyone for your help :) 

Edited by Zaprime

I'm so glad it changed. I did our application in 2014 and "lost money" because I had to order copies of my TRF sent somewhere. But I did hear that EA have since upgraded to accept electronic applications. (I also had to courier physical papers to them, both ways.)

So glad the new info is such good news! About time too!

• Like 1

Hi

On the DIBP website under the 189 visa section they talk about skilled employment and points that can be awarded for skilled employment for different time periods. 

In 2012, i was employed as a pre-graduate to do engineering related work for my university for 6 months and then for the remainder of the year as a post graduate, doing the same work. Would that count towards skilled employment? Does it matter if I was only employed part time (3 days a week) for two years of my skilled employment doing engineering work?

I'm trying to understand whether I'd have 5 years of experience at the end of the year (according to their definition) or if I'd only have that after July of next year or after?

Thanks

To the best of my knowledge they only recognise work experience AFTER you graduate. I also think that they will accept any experience that is vetted by Engineers Australia. If someone who has actually claimed points for work XP can varify this, that would be excellent.

@RedPanda is correct in that any experience obtained before meeting the degree requirements is not recognised. However, you should check whether your transcript lists a qualifying date that is earlier than the awarding date. The awarding date is just the date of the graduation ceremony, but the qualifying date is the date on which the university recognised that all conditions for the qualification had been met. You may be successful in claiming experience obtained from the qualifying date.

Also be aware that the suitability criteria specific to your ANZSCO number may require a given number of years of experience. If that is so, then those years may be absorbed into your qualifying criteria, such that they do not count towards visa points. ACS has conditions like this for certain qualifications, including degrees. Perhaps you can get that kind of information from the relevant assessing body.

Edited by Kevin
grammar and minor rewording
  • Like 1