NB: Skills Level Vetasses/Relevant experience

Nathalie

Question

So here is what I don't understand:blink: Skill Level 1 has a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. At least five years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification. If this is stated in black and white on the Vetasses web, than why are so many applications getting declined where  evidence of work experience is very clear :unsure:

Why state this on the website if the exact opposite is true and so many people are pinning their hopes and dreams on their skills being positively assessed, not to mention all the money that is spent submitting, as well as applying for reassessments?

The website instructions are as clear as dawn to me, however the outcome is quite different as there are many negative assessments.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Nathalie

8 answers to this question

HI @Nathalie

Not clear on if you are asking a question or just making a statement. Think this is one for the forum's expert agents to explain.

I did want to say that I am one of those people whose qualifications were not recognized as relevant to my occupation, despite having a masters degree. My first experience/ skills assessment outcome was also negative. Luckily on a request for review, a further +R7k fee and another 10 weeks of waiting, I eventually received a positive outcome. I am not sure what I would have done if it was still negative.

Hope all works out for you.

Edited by Husky
Spelling
  • Like 1

Hi Husky

It's a statement and also a request for feedback on people's personal experience with skills assessments.

Well your experience just confirmed what i mentioned in my post. People are paying so much for their assessments, only to fail (even with the relevant qualification) they then pay for a reassessment. I guess this is the price you have to pay for wanting something so badly.

May i ask why your qualification wasn't relevant first time and what did you do second time around to receive a positive skill?

Edited by Nathalie

15 hours ago, Nathalie said:

So here is what I don't understand:blink: Skill Level 1 has a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. At least five years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification. If this is stated in black and white on the Vetasses web, than why are so many applications getting declined where  evidence of work experience is very clear :unsure:

Why state this on the website if the exact opposite is true and so many people are pinning their hopes and dreams on their skills being positively assessed, not to mention all the money that is spent submitting, as well as applying for reassessments?

It is as clear as dawn to me, however the outcome is quite different as there are many negative assessments.

:rolleyes:

Hi Natalie

Unfortunately, it is an error that a number of people make - there are a lot of different criteria for different aspects of the application and they can differ across the process. 

The requirements by the different assessors and occupation can vary from those provided in the ANZSCO expectations.  The term "Skill Level 1 has a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. At least five years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification." relates not to Vetassess criteria but to the general ANZSCO requirements for an Australian working in an occupation at that level. 

Vetassess requirements for a positive skills assessment need not match the ANZSCO expectations.

I don't know your occupation but to obtain a positive skills assessment from Vetassess re General occupations (non-Trade occupation) different criteria to those in ANZSCO are used.  These vary by occupation but may include:

• a qualification (relevance may be an issue) at a specified level, plus
  • a number of years post qualification work experience (number of years may differ depending upon relevance)

I suspect that Vetassess have provided details relevant to your occupation in your rejection letter.

All the best.

Tee

• Like 1

Hi Tee

My agent lodged the skills assessment this week so I havnt received feedback yet. Reading the various posts from people who have degrees and are still being rejected doesn't make me feel relaxed one bit. I do realise the different criteria of each persons occupation, however the statement Vetassess makes whereby 5 years of expereince can be substituted for the formal qualification can be a bit misleading to the person whose expereince is highly relevant but falls short in qualification. This is certainly the case with me. Highly relevant experience as an Exporter, holds national certificates in international trade and completed many training courses relevant to my job. So guess I can only wait for the outcome and take it from there..

Edited by Nathalie

Under the occupation Exporter for example - Vetassess would not be able to assess an application positively if the applicant does not hold a highly relevant qualification that is at an equivalent level to an Australian bachelor degree.  This is a strict requirement for a skills assessment in that occupation (in addition to needing the specified work experience and other criteria they require). 

Hi Tee

so I guess I should be expecting a negative assessment soon

Edited by Nathalie

October 19th,2016 : 

Vetassess Update: Release of details of Skills Assessment Support services.

Skills Assessment Support

Vetassess has announced the Skills Assessment Support (SAS) for migration agents and prospective applicants who are yet to submit their Skills Assessment application to VETASSESS. They stated that the new SAS service aims to provide tailored support to applicants/agents on how to submit a decision-ready application for general professional occupations with VETASSESS. Skill Assessment Support will be a choice of:

1) Document checking service
This service involves a step-by-step guidance support in completing an application for a Skills Assessment focusing on the completeness of the application for a Skills Assessment, including the type of information required and the key documents.

2) Consultation on a selected occupation
This service involves providing information via a 30 minute phone consultation about the VETASSESS Skills Assessment criteria that apply to a selected occupation.

This update is applicable for all the applicants before going for skills assessment with Vetassess.

October 14th,2016 : 

Please find the update on latest EOI draw , 12/10/2016

486 (938 registrants) EOIs with a points total of 160 or more 

The next selection will take place in a fortnight.

Please note that all the applications for New Zealand SMC visa should be applied through licensed New Zealand Immigration agents only.

• Like 1

Hi

thanks for the update. Does the SAS apply to skills that were submitted prior to this announcement? Skill was lodged on the 4/10