Melbourne to Queensland

CJV

We moved to Melbourne in December 2014 and although it's a lovely city, coming from KZN, we really battle with the weather and lifestyle.  We will be moving to QLD at the end of 2017 and plan a trip in Jan 2017 to do a little scout.  Can anyone recommend coastal suburbs close to Brisbane with good schools and easy public transport to the city.  I'm in HR and my husband is in Carpentry/formwork.  I was thinking of maybe Manly, QLD. Thought we could stay in a hotel here when we go and do outlet scout? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

I cannot give advise on areas in Queensland as I have never been. I just wanted to say all.the best with the move. We also struggled to settle in Melbourne and after moving interstate are very happy here in Perth. Australia I such a big place and you have to go where you are happy. I believe that Queensland is also very laid back like Perth.

Good luck ?

Hi CVJ,

Check out "Manly Marina Cove Motel". When we came on our LSD trip in 2008 my parents stayed there and the accommodation was good at that stage.  The Motel is right by the Marina as the name suggests and it is a beautiful area to stay and check out the happenings in the area.  We live in the bayside area of Brisbane.  The suburbs right by the sea is Wynnum, Manly and Lota.  Manly has two state schools, i.e Manly West and Manly, I believe the latter is the better one.  If you stay in Wynnum, one of the good State Schools there is Wondall Heights - the others are questionable.  Property prices in all these areas are on the rise and I wish we could afford to climb in now, but alas.  I believe that back in the days, the bayside suburbs was the so to speak "verkeerde kant van die treinspoor" areas.  People found living next to the river more favourable and thus all the good property developments took place on the river side.  But now a days, people re discovered the Bayside and there is quite a big boom on this side.  There is some beautiful Queenslanders that have been renovated, or people buy a property for the stand and build from scratch.  There are some beautiful properties and the prices are rising!  

Streching from Wynnum side through Manly to Lota is a lovely Esplanade that goes on for a good few kms with playgrounds, pools, gym equipment, restaurants, jetty, walk/bike paths.  A lot of the shops have also been upgraded with a lot of new coffee shops popping up.  There is a brand new Woolworths and a good Coles. The Library have also been upgraded to a very modern facility.

We live in Wakerley, which is just behind Manly and I guess about 5 to 7 kms from the Esplanade.  A quick drive and you are there.  My kids go to Gumdale State School and they only started yesterday, so I can't give you a personal account but I only hear good things from the school.

With regards to transport.  Obviously there are bus routes in all these areas and the railway line goes right through this stretch with stops in Wynnum, Manly, Lota right until Cleveland.  Wellington Point and Cleveland are also lovely areas but a little bit too far from the CBD for my liking.

We are also about 5 kms from a big Westfield Mall, Carindale.

You are welcome to PM me if you have any further questions that I might be able to help you with.

Liz

• Like 1

Liz thank you so much for your time taken to respond.  I'll definitely look into all those areas.  Moving state feels like immigrating again and local input is really helpful.  I have two boys aged 7 and 9.  They both enjoy sport and the outdoor as do my husband and I.  I'll def be in touch if I have any more questions.  Thank you.  Have a lovely day.  Claire :)

9 hours ago, emmayenkanna said:

I cannot give advise on areas in Queensland as I have never been. I just wanted to say all.the best with the move. We also struggled to settle in Melbourne and after moving interstate are very happy here in Perth. Australia I such a big place and you have to go where you are happy. I believe that Queensland is also very laid back like Perth.

Good luck ?

Emmayenkanna, thank you for your words if encouragement.  It's great to hear people have success when moving state.  Did you arrive in Australia in a 457 visa?  

Hi CJ,

No we came on a 189. We came to Perth initially and hubby started to apply everywhere. After 2 weeks he got job offer in Melbourne so we moved there. Perth was always our first choice as I have family and friends here and we had visited before. I had never been to Melbourne and knew nobody. It was nice how we ended up coming back to Perth. ?

I see.  We came over on a 457 so landed in Melbourne for job purposes.  It's been a long road but we are hopefully almost there :)

• 1 month later...

I know this is not quite what you are looking for ito input, but... while you are checking out Brisbane, you have to go look at Mooloolaba beach. It's lovely to swim and play in the soft Aussie sand, and it's not nearly as crowded as the more poplar beaches. We totally loved it. (Ahh...just saw on Google Maps, it's about 100km north of Brisbane, pretty much part of the Sunshine coast. But we found it worth the drive.)

I second that - Mooloolaba and Noosa are wonderful. If I had my choice, that's where I'd put down roots (although they are some distance from Brisbane). 

• Like 1

Hi Claire,

All of the best in searching to settle in Brisbane. I've been here a month now and love the climate.

• Like 1