Teenager and Drivers License

Wannagonow

Hi All in WA

Our teenage daughter just turned 18 and will get her SA drivers soon (Oct 2016). 

We land in Perth in dec 2016, once in WA will she just be able to swop/apply for WA license (apparently for us parents its not a problem, we just apply and pay)? Or will she need to do the whole P plate thing? 

You can only convert your South African license to a WA (or any other state) one if you are 25 or older and have 5 or more years driving experience. Unfortunately for your daughter she's going to have to do her's again. Not sure if she will have to do the PPlate thing though. 

Edited by HadEnoughofJuju

Once you've converted your license in Australia, do you ever have to renew your South African license  again or is it on the aussie system forever. 

You only need to renew your RSA one of you ever plan on going back. You can drive on your Aussie one in RSA although I've heard of Saffas driving on Aussie licenses in RSA, being pulled over and arrested because they wouldn't pay bribes in dollars. 

I did some research (should have done so before asking I guess!)

Firstly there is this...

http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/novice-drivers.asp

so seems our teenager is a novice driver which would be great, but then there is this……

http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/transferring-your-overseas-licence.asp

from above weblink I quote ‘’ If you hold a driver's licence from an experienced driver recognised country and you are under 25 years of age you will be required to undertake and pass the theory and practical driving tests prior to the grant of a WA driver's licence.’’  

So it seems our teen will have to do both theory and practical test again, poor thing she is so excited to get her license, only to do it all over again! 

Same goes for QLD. If she is going to do it in RSA and then have to redo it here in WA again three months later, why don't you just let her do it her, much less stress than doing the licence twice. Waiting three months is not going to do any harm.

• 1 month later...

To swap/apply for your Aussie drivers license, is there any specific documents that you need? Or do you just go with your SA license? We are also going to WA.?