Negligence of a MARA agent what are my rights being abroad?

Shmily

Question

What if your MARA agent cost you to loose 10 points and lied to you? We had 65 points and due to her lies and negligence lost 10. What rights do we have still being abroad? MARA will investigate the matter now. Quess I have to wait and hear what they say will one be able to ask for a reconsidering of a PR visa due to her negligence? Or is it sorry not our fault she did not do her work? 

Edited by Shmily

13 answers to this question

Please elaborate on the situation.  You say you are abroad, did you already make the move to Aus?  Where in the process did you lose the 10 points?  

Before EOI, after getting your invitation, after submitting the application?

How did you lose 10 points?

Hi Chris I am still in SA, I lost my 10 points before EOI. My skills assessment was 3 days late and I lost the points due to me turning 40. The agent told us she has lodged the skills assessment in January and every time I followed up with her (believe me it was a lot) she said she is still waiting for them. At last I found out last week after requesting Vetassess to give me access to my information she had only lodged 6/4/2016 4 days before my 40th birthday. She also lied about the amount of money paid over to them. 

Edited by Shmily

I think i would just contact Mara @Shmily and see what they say but i would also be very upset!!

A friend of mine was in trouble due to a MARA agent's negligence. They ended up getting a lawyer who helped them sort it out, but it was costly. They came right but it set them back a few months, in which they were then unemployed, had already moved to oz, was not allowed to work due to the visa issues, etc. This journey can have so many bumps in the road, like it's not complicated enough as is already. My heart goes out to you for having to deal with another issue on the long road to get there. Good luck!!

• Like 1

Thank you so much I truly hope that the law is on our side with this and this agent gets a fright from MARA.  Please note to all, although MARA can take away the agents certificate or suspend them they can't promise you your money back.  If the agent revuses to work with them I will have to go the legal route in the state she is staying.  Pray it does not come down to this only time will tell.  Please be carefull who you use (I had 3 personal refrences) and the agent is registered with MARA.   

• Like 1

Stuff that, for all the money and trust, if she lied, put her over the MARA barrel and cane her. This is your life we are talking about, not just a rodeo show.

• Like 2

Just some feedback to all. With a thankful song in my heart I manage to get basically all our funds back from the agent.  She still owes us a small amount that I do believe we will get back within the next week.  She did deduct $1000 for her bad service rendered and at this stage we wrote that part off (although it is hard to swallow to think I paid her for costing me 10 points).  MARA is continuing their investigation and at this stage found that she was negligent in submitting my skills assessment on time causing me to lose the 10 points.  Nothing I can do about that will have to find alternatives around this.  Hoping to see Ray from Migrate2Oz next week to discuss our options.  We have basically lost a year but I do believe it was for a reason.  Time will tell.  I have learned a lot from this experience and even if you trust the agent (3 personal references) be very careful in paying over ANY money.  Best is to negotiate the milestones and pay them when they are reached and also pay the other parties directly not through the agent. It was a frustrating battle and in a small sense it feels like what is to come will only be easier to handle (I realise we don't exactly know what is coming our way and how emotions might get the better of us). We will see what the future holds for us.  ;)          

• Like 2

Well done @Shmily :) 

This gives me confidence in getting MARA involved with our issue as well.

All the best in getting the balance out of the agent and also on your application going forward ;) 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Shmily said:

Best is to negotiate the milestones and pay them when they are reached

This is the best advice when shopping around for agents.

• Like 1

On 30/09/2016 at 6:39 AM, Deezo said:

I think i would just contact Mara @Shmily and see what they say but i would also be very upset!!

Deezo I did most of it on my own MARA is doing the rest now. I have requested them to hold back for a while why I struggled to get my money out of her. On Tuesday I gave the final go ahead. They already had all my evidence and I believe now made it public to her for her comments. But from my side I already gave all the evidence that she was negligent and they agreed. Will see what happens now. But my advise give it through to them even if it is just to warn others.  

• Like 1