fly fishing gear

Spazmaz

Question

Hi all,

Any fly fishermen relocated? My hubby is an avid fly-fisherman and loves to tie his own flies.

As these contain feathers and deer hair (all comercially bought for the purpose of fly tying) my guess is that this may be an issue for customs. Are there any of you who have successfully taken flies across?

Obviously in the greater scheme of things they would be cheap to replace but I know he would be sad to leave them behind as he has put in many hours carefully crafting the little critters.

And more importantly, are there any well know fly fishing areas like Dullstroom is to RSA in Aus?

Thanks in advance

2 answers to this question

You are correct about the natural animal hair and feathers. If one doesn't declare it and get caught, one will be in for much trouble. One has to declare it and then will most probably be questioned and/or be asked to show the flies to the examining officer. If he thinks it's commercial and in a good mood, one might get away with the flies. If not, it will be confiscated and depending on your attitude, you might get fined.

I went through customs a few years ago with fly fishing tackle and flies, but I took only synthetic material salt water flies for Aus fishing with me. I was going to buy the trout flies with feathers in N Zealand when going there afterwards (and left them there with my friend). I declared everything when questioned and was open and honest. The customs officer believed me and let me through without opening my luggage. Never lie or take a chance with Australian customs!

I didn't take the raw materials but I went over with my natural tied flies and didn't have an issue. As with anything like this - just declare them to be safe.

Disclaimer :As with anything that is a bit of a grey area your mileage may vary.