Accomodation in Brisbane (Furnished)

jasontunguydesmarais

Hi All

My family and I (2 adults, 2 small kids) will be arriving in Brisbane late November this year to start our new lives - soo excited, nervous and everything in between!. One of the main challenges or outstanding elements we need to organise or find is initial accommodation while we wait for our lives (read container of stuff) to arrive in Brisbane, so probably need a place for a week in November, December and January.

Does anyone have a place they are renting or know someone with a place to rent? looking for a 2 bedroom, full furnished (apartment, townhouse or house). Preferably in the Brisbane Western Suburbs as this will be close to my work. 

In addition, can anyone give me feedback as to the accepted or normal residential lease periods? I know in SA it is difficult to sign less than a year, will we manage to sign a 2 month lease?

Thanking everyone in advance!

Would recommend airbnb you can actually load it as an app on your phone and these are day to day rentals, all the best for the move ?

Edited by MelanieMas

Airbnb style accommodation would probably be the best bet. It's quite hard to find conventional properties for lease periods of less than six months, which makes sense considering the logistics/costs involved in a move.

The bonus with short-term accommodation is that you won't have to worry about gas/electricity accounts etc and if you're going to stay in the accommodation for that amount of time chat to the owner and you could probably use them as a reference for when you eventually find your first rental.

Edited by Brad76

• 2 weeks later...

Geez, three months in Airbnb! So that's how the other half lives.  All us plebs, we had to camp out in rentals with whatever we could stuff onto the roof carrier of the Boeing.

Airbnb is good and your best bet I think.  I've never heard of anyone getting a 3 month lease, and furnished three month lease? Well I doubt it. Maybe get Jones to park the yacht in the river? Should be cheaper.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jason

Just wondering if you have come up with a solution of furnished accommodation until your furniture arrives? We are in the 'same boat' and will arrive at the end of December. Furniture will only arrive mid feb...we are hoping to find accommodation north east of the river. Furnished accommodation is pricey!

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, we booked into Brisbane Holiday village. They give a discounted rate if you book for more than 28 days and were flexible when we had to extend it when our furniture were delayed. The kids also enjoyed the "holiday".

Alternatively, if you find a nice place to rent you can also rent furniture. A lot of the churches also have a "survival kid" to help out with the necessities.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jason and African girl pm me I'm in Brisbane if you need some help.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi @D&M, I am looking seriously at Brisbane Holiday Village as an option for the wait while our furniture arrives, would work out to a about a month until container arrives. We are 2 adults and 2 small children (3 year old and a 2 year old). Did you go for the short term 2 bed cabin? And you were fairly happy in your time there? We have a friend who will put us up for our first week, they will probably offer for as long as we need, but I really don't want to be a burden on them. Have looked at Air BnB and wowsers it looks VERY expensive for a month's stay!

Just wanted to find out more about your experience at the Village! :)

Hi @JoVincent, we were very happy with our stay at Brisbane Holiday Village. We stayed in the 2 bedroom corporate cabin. When booking go to their "Specials" tab and book the "Stay  28+ Nights and save" option. I think it shows @ $80 per night currently. It contains everything you need and they provide clean linen weekly. There is also a laundry on site which makes washing easy. The kids will also enjoy the "holiday". I referred another couple there (they are currently staying there, going into their third week and they are very happy there - they also have  2 kids almost the same age). You can also phone Brisbane Holiday Village if you want to make sure that you get the best deal. It is really close to everything. There is a bus stop just outside the holiday village, which is convenient to use if you want to go to the shopping centre or the city, although we preferred to walk to Westfield Garden City Shopping centre as it is really close and good exercise.

From Garden City there is a busway to the city which makes it really quick to get into the city by bus.

Let  me know how you go and please feel free to contact me if you need any other advise.

Thanks so much for the feedback @D&M, I've sent you a message to ask some other advice on Brisbane. Much appreciated!