Home Schooling in Aus

A3Botha

Hi there

My son is 6 and in grade R in South Africa.  We are immigrating at the end of 2017.  I am considering to home school him in an Aus curriculum from next year.  Until  we move and are settled.  We currently live in a very small town with only one very Afrikaans " Laerskool" . The problem is I have no idea were to begin.  I have been on the Aus home school websites but I still feel lost.

I am sure I am not the first worried mom, is there anyone who can give me advice? 

You've got to weigh the benefit of schooling him in two systems (SA and AU), against the effort he, and you, will have to put in during the course of the next year. At the age of 6, or 7 when you arrive, he will not have any problems integrating and thriving in the Aussie school system. I know you are a worried mom who wants the best for her child, I was and still am one too, but we've also got to give them the credit and the benefit of the doubt that they will do well. 

@A3Botha Reach out to me on a PM, my wife homeschools our 3 kids. Definitely worth it, but you need to be ready, it is a lot of commitment. I am lucky, my wife is a teacher among other skills.

I worked for a home school curriculum provider in Pretoria and also home schooled my child for a year before we moved. The curriculum does not differ a lot between the lower grades. Its math and reading, writing - same basics. You don't need a specific curriculum for SA or oz, just doing it in English is the main thing. I used Brainline Learning World and Smart kids (from Pearson.)

Edited by Mel-B