minimum cost short term move for one person

Flitz

Hello

What is the minimum you would tell someone to cover over to australia with ?Just budgeting excluding flights and want to know the minimum amount as takes time to get a job 

5 hours ago, Flitz said:

Hello

What is the minimum you would tell someone to cover over to australia with ?Just budgeting excluding flights and want to know the minimum amount as takes time to get a job 

How much money? As much as you can is the short answer. As far as minimum time getting a job? How long is a piece of string? Some people manage to secure a job from South Africa, others take a week, some take 2-3 months from landing others wipe out years of savings. A friend could have bought a new German car for cash with the amount of savings he spent while he looked for work.

Cheers

Matt

Edited by AFreshStart
  • Like 1

The best advice I can give is to stay with friends or ask if someone can offer their home to stay in while you try find your feet and you pay a portion of their rent.

When I was looking to come through I was planning on using AirBNB or find a place on gumtree. Luckily my GF knew someone that offered to let me share the rent while I look for my own place. Was paying $150 a week and then another $70-80 for food weekly. Was a lot cheaper than other options I found. I was also lucky that I got a job the first day I got here.

The reality is that you are going to need to budget according to what you can find, which can be variable. I brought over about $18000 which I used $3000 for a car, $1000 to fix car for registration, $770 for rego, $270 for drivers licence and about $1000 for water, elect and rent for the first month before I got paid.

• Like 2

I think most people worry about this, and TBH, is "as much as you can" enough. @dlmonnink well done on landing a job on your first day, that must have been a dream come true! I'm sure you have your reasons, but is a car a necessity initially? In SA you can do very little without a car, is it the same story once you are over there?

Just now, Duke1989 said:

I think most people worry about this, and TBH, is "as much as you can" enough. @dlmonnink well done on landing a job on your first day, that must have been a dream come true! I'm sure you have your reasons, but is a car a necessity initially? In SA you can do very little without a car, is it the same story once you are over there?

It really comes down to where you wind up staying or how much you want to get around. It's not always convenient to use the transport network available and what might take you 1 or 1.5 hours to get to via public transport might only be 25-35 mins by car. You also need to take into account that you don't really want to lug around 20 packets of shopping on a bus and/or tram and/or train. When I initially got here I was staying with friends in Brighton East. It was convenient as the 2nd last tram stop was at the top of the street I was then staying and dropped me almost at the drop door of work; alternatively there were no quick routes to any major shopping centres. It would have taken 40+ mins to get to one via public transport but only 12 mins by car. The car also helped when I moved out of their place and into my own.

It does make getting around easier in some cases but instead of having 2 cars like we did in SA we only have one here in Aus, partly because of the rego which is about $800 a year and the fact that I use a bus and tram to get to and from work now. Just imagine having to fork out R10000 every year to register your car vs the R250 you do now.

• Like 1

I see, okay that makes sense. Thank you for the feedback, I'm just contemplating about staying here an extra month or two, to increase finances, or take the chance and just move, being single makes things easier though. If I go now about $5000 is all I have, going Jan/Feb 2017, I'm sure I can get to $10000.

I think the more money you can have the better. We saved up for quite a few years before coming over, but in hindsight we needn't have worried as my husband got work straightaway. The sooner you start earning dollars the better, and it goes alot further. Having said that having that money in the bank account always made us feel a bit more secure. Save what you can but don't let it delay staying in SA too long. All the best to you :-)

Edited by Guest