A bit late

wonderer

Hi Everyone,

Like it seems many others, I too have put off introducing myself (us) and just read frantically. Initially I thought we're different as we are a bit ambivalent about the whole process, but reading a lot has made me feel more at home, realizing most people on the forum are actually very like minded.  

We started thinking about moving over in June and submitted our EOI (189) last week of August and hoping for an invite soon. (I must say I'm quite envious of the August thread.) We are doing it without an agent as it will hopefully be fairly straight forward, and really do appreciate everything we learned from the forum.

We are currently looking at Melbourne, but there are so many chicken-egg scenarios.

• Like 1

All the best with this crazy exciting journey you and your family are taking on. It's a bit like your own reality show with lost of challenges ahead, some emotional turmoil, a few lonely celebrations but an awesome prize at the end if you stick it out.

• Like 1

@wonderer what do you mean with:

We are currently looking at Melbourne, but there are so many chicken-egg scenarios.

I'm also looking at Melbourne, seems like a major, relatively safe and manageable city.

• Like 1

Go where the work is! :) 

• Like 1

@Mel-B what's your opinion on getting the odd job to keep you afloat upon landing in the land of Oz? And once that is secured, focus on getting the permanent, better paying employment?

-Duke:huh:

I think you said you have no kids? Makes your options so much easier, can live anywhere "cheap" don't have to worry about school zones,etc. It all is a gamble, its a decision that you need to make and be fine with it working or not. Wish I could offer better advise. But this journey is so different for every person, and it depends on many factors. Just be adjustable and go with the flow, there is a lot of work, but its also about the right place at the right time I have found (bit of luck).

We love Melbourne though, its got such a great culture and vibe - the biggest issues are traffic and weather. 1st world problems! B) 

Have a budget, have a rough plan. Join groups on facebook, Ausiekaners and South Africans living in Melbourne. Ask for work or leads - my husband was offered an interview and job through such a request on one of those pages and had to turn it down as it was in Brisbane (kids were enrolled for school, rental agreement signed in Melbourne,etc). South Africans are eager to help new arrivals as they know how hard it is when just landing.

Yes indeed, no kids, and it makes sense that it makes things easier, I should see this as less of an obstacle, and more of a challenge. I'll keep your advice in mind and work with it, thank you! :cowboy: Writing PTE on Tuesday, hold those thumbs...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Mel-B said:

Go where the work is! :) 

Sure, but I think its helpful for the free floating madness and anxiety to focus (even temporarily) on somewhere until the focus change. If we land without jobs, we will have to land somewhere...:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Yes wonderer, you are correct :) We said exactly the same, it is funny how quickly you relax once you start settling this side. You have to have a plan and a place to attempt to make the plan work. But what I meant is pick a city that offers the best chance of a job in your field - all the cities are great - go to the one that offers you the best chance according to your skills.

Edited by Mel-B
  • Like 5

• 5 months later...

Well, its almost 3 months since our grants, hard to believe. We are finally about to book our flights and Airbnb.

The past 2 weeks was rather difficult, we thought we might need to re-consider the whole plan as my dad had a serious health scare. Things seems better now and it looks like he might be ok with surgery (which still feels risky at his age), but: oh, the places you go... I felt confronted with so many things I tolerated theoretically in my mind, but now on a practical level. It also gave me a chance to feel what it would feel like to maybe stay, and it feels better to want to go, despite the difficult feelings of loss and starting over.  

I'm sure there many more ups and downs but its nice to have a second breath and a bit more focus..

• Like 1

Hi @wonderer, Sorry to hear about the health scare with your dad.  Hope the surgery goes well and you can focus on the final prep for your move. We are also heading out soon, just bought the tickets for 26th March :)

• Like 1

Sending hugs :)

Now I know what you meant when you said that once you have the visas, the next wave of "stress" hits you. I am trying to not even think about what next until the week-end when hopefully we'll have some time as a family to do some serious planning. Worse case scenario,we hope to be in Oz by year end. Have to activate by 12 November.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/02/2017 at 8:26 PM, Husky said:

Sending hugs :)

Now I know what you meant when you said that once you have the visas, the next wave of "stress" hits you.

Good luck. Just remember when you start to panic too much...we all made it through just fine, and we are all only regular people too. ;)